Warm up the start of any day with these Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Oats. A warm bowl of oats topped with browned butter apples chopped raw almonds.
Does anybody need warming up yet? Honestly, we don’t around here, but it still didn’t stop me from making these very comforting oats with browned butter apples. A warming and comforting way to start the day. A little comfort goes as long way and sometimes it’s all we need.
Oats are a satisfying and nutritious way to start the day. So whether you choose to have them like this or in the Cranberry Pecan Granola way, you won’t be disappointed.
Let’s set the record straight about oats and which ones to use. In case you are confused, you can use all of these, just adjust cooking time according to which type of oats you are using.
NOTE: I always used Old Fashioned Oats for my recipes.
Unsure about which oats are which? Here’s a quick guide
Old-Fashioned Oats – They are flaked and can be used as oatmeal or in baking goods. They also have the best texture
Quick-Cooking Oats – These are pre cooked oats that are cut thin for quicker cooking.
Instant Oats – very similar to the quick cooking oats. Only real difference is they are cut even thinner for basically instant cooking.
Steel Cut Oats – This type isn’t rolled at all. Instead they are cut with a blade. They take the longest to cook and are generally a little chewier.
Notes About The Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Oats
As for this recipe, it’s as easy as 1-2-3! These are just good old fashioned oats that you cook on the stove top with milk or water. I used milk, because, I prefer them creamy. You could use water if you prefer. The apples are really the star of this dish. Otherwise, they are just oats right?
I didn’t add sugar to my oats because I don’t find they need it. However, feel free to stir in sugar if you are looking for a sweeter taste. Also, if you think the oats are too thick when cooking, just add a little more water or milk to thin them out a bit. Easy.
If you need a bowl of comfort to start your day, these just wouldn’t do your wrong.
Happy cooking friends!
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Oats
- 1 Cup old fashioned oats
- 2 Cups milk
- 2 Apples peeled cored and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons almonds roughly chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium sized skillet set over medium high heat add the butter until melted. Add the apples and stir well. Reduce heat to medium low, add the brown sugar, water and cover. Cook apples for a further 10 minutes, checking and stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan set over medium heat, add the oats and milk. Stir well and leave to cook for about 10 minutes, stir occasionally to make sure they don’t stick. Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon.
- Divide into two bowls and top with apples and chopped almonds. Serve immediately