Make your muffins a little healthier with these Chocolate Chip Bran Muffins. By using wheat bran mixed with plain flour, you get a moist yet light muffin filled with flavour and sprinkled with chocolate chips.
Think of these muffins as a healthier version of my Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake. Adding wheat bran make these muffins high in fiber and a little healthier than your regular muffin.
Why You’ll Want To Make These Muffins
- “Healthier” muffin version – Because these muffins have a high percentage of wheat bran, they are high in fiber which make them healthier than regular muffins.
- Easy to make – these muffins come together pretty quickly and don’t require any fancy ingredients
- Great flavour and texture – these are moist as well as light and the chocolate chips give them a great flavour.
- Stays fresh for days – unlike some muffins, these will stay fresh on the counter top in a sealed container for 3-4 days.
- Dry Ingredients – I used a combination of plain flour, wheat bran, brown sugar, baking powder and salt for the dry component of this muffin.
- Dairy and eggs – Buttermilk, one egg and butter were used.
- Additional flavours – I used semi sweet chocolate chips
REMEMBER, The full recipe and instructions can always be found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
- Preheat oven – Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 8 muffin pans and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients – Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. Reserve one tablespoon of flour for the chocolate chips.
- Combine milk and wheat bran – Add the bran to the milk and set aside.
- Make muffin batter – In the bowl of you electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar on high speed for about 3 minutes. Add the egg and continue to mix for another 2 minutes. Add the flour mixture and mix on a low speed until combined. Stir in bran mixture and stir until just combined.
- Coat chocolate chips in flour – Using the reserved one tablespoon of flour, toss the chocolate chips in the flour. Pour chocolate chips into the batter and stir until just mixed in.
- Pour into tins and bake – Pour evenly into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 18 – 22 minutes. Muffins will be done with a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Recipe Tips For Getting The Muffins Just Right
- Don’t over bake – over baking often results in dry muffins. Make sure to not over bake them. The muffins will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Baking time will vary anywhere between 18 – 22 minutes for medium sized muffins.
- Grease the pan properly – You can use paper liners if you prefer. However, if greasing the muffin tins, make sure to grease the entire thing to ensure you can get the muffins out easily.
- Coat the chocolate chips in flour – this is an important step to make sure the chocolate chips don’t sink to the bottom of the muffin.
How Can I Store The Muffins
- In a container on the counter, this is how I usually keep them and they will keep up to three days
- Store in the refrigerator, you will get them to about five days in the fridge. But I recommend taking them out of the fridge and letting them come to room temperature before eating them.
- Keep in the freezer, up to a month. Make sure it’s a freezer proof container. Allow to defrost on the counter.
Are There Any Flavour Substitutions that Can Be Made To These Muffins
- Butter– you can use a plant based butter or even vegetable oil. Just keep in mind the texture will change slightly.
- Brown sugar – I only used brown sugar as the sweet component for these muffins. You could replace the brown sugar with a 1/2 honey and 1/2 brown sugar. You will have a slight honey flavour but the same level of sweetness.
- Wheat bran – I used wheat bran for this recipe, but you can use oat bran.
- Chocolate chips – Dried fruit like raisins and cranberries would also work
Frequently Asked Questions
I added chocolate chips to this recipe, but raisins, dried cranberries, pecans, walnuts or almonds would all work as well.
Wheat bran itself if a healthy fiber. However, how healthy the muffin is will depend on what you add to it. This recipe contains brown sugar and chocolate chips. Both ingredients are not considered healthy.
Chocolate Chip Bran Muffins
- 1/3 Cup butter
- 2/3 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 1 1/3 Cup wheat bran
- 2/3 Cup plain flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 8 muffin pans and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.*reserve one tablespoon of the flour for later.
- Add the bran to the milk and set aside.
- In the bowl of you electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar on high speed for about 3 minutes. Add the egg and continue to mix for another 2 minutes. Add the flour mixture and mix on a low speed until combine. Add the bran mixture and stir until just combined.
- Toss the chocolate chips in the reserved one tablespoon of flour. Add the chocolate chips to the batter and stir until they are just mixed in.
- Pour evenly into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes. Muffins will be done with a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Leave a Reply