Here’s your perfect dessert. These Chocolate Cream Cheese Squares with Strawberry Compote are utterly delicious and would make a great Valentine’s Day dessert!
Cheesecake plus chocolate equals quite delicious. Earlier this week when I was looking for something to bake, I thought the cream cheese brownies might be a good idea. Then the idea shifted and I started something new. I searched the fridge and found cream cheese and a little mascarpone left from when I made icing last weekend. Good, enough cheese. There was chocolate, sugar, eggs and everything else I needed to put these together. The fridge even had fresh strawberries to make the strawberry compote. Lucky day!
These squares are not very sweet at all as I used bitter sweet chocolate and didn’t use a whole lot of sugar. The result is quite decadent and not overpoweringly sweet. The strawberry compote adds an extra layer of richness and you could go over the top and add whipped cream. Valentine’s Day is coming!
Notes About the Chocolate Cream Cheese Squares with Strawberry Compote
- I used a digestive crumb base as it was what I had on hand in the house. You could easily use the same amount of chocolate biscuits if you prefer a chocolate base. However, this combination in itself is quite nice.
This really is a great dessert for any day of the week, but also something to keep in mind for special occasions.
I hope you like the recipe friends. I’ll be back really soon with more delicious dishes from my kitchen. And until then, happy cooking!
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Chocolate Cream Cheese Squares with Strawberry Compote
For the filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 Cup whipping cream
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 5 oz dark chocolate
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup flour
- Pinch salt
For the base:
- 2 Cups digestive biscuit crumbs
- 1/2 Cup butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
For the Strawberry Compote:
- 2 Cups strawberries roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line a 8 inch square baking tin.
- Combine the digestive crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Stir to combine and press evenly into the pan. Cover and refrigerate while you make the filling.
- Sift together the flour and salt and set aside. In the bowl of you electric mixer, mix the cream cheese and mascarpone on high speed until smooth. Mix in the sugar on high speed and mix for about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla. Mix until combined. Mix in heavy cream and mix for about a minute. Pour in melted chocolate and stir until combined. Sift in flour until just combined. Pour into prepared crust and bake for 20-25 minutes. It should spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and lay on a wire rack to cool completely.
- While your squares are cooking, make your compote, With a small stainless steel saucepan set over medium high heat, add the strawberries. Stir for a few minutes until they start to sizzle. Add in the water, vanilla and brown sugar. Continue to cook for a further few minutes, mashing with a fork as the strawberries soften. After about 5 minutes, your compote should be thickened and ready. Remove from heat.
- Remove your cream cheese cake from the pan and cut into squares. Serve with the warm compote for a complete dessert. Can also be eaten on their own. Will keep well in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days.