Shortbread is an absolute Christmas classic. And these Chocolate Drizzled Shortbread cookies are a great alternative to those. A crisp buttery cookie, drizzled with dark chocolate and topped with festive sprinkles.
It’s official, Christmas is one week from today! One week friends. Are you still baking? Or are you baking at all? I don’t bake near as much as I used to. We’re a family of four and I don’t give cookies as gifts in later years. So, the baking is just for our family these days. I usually bake three or four kinds and keep them in the freezer. Then throughout the Christmas period, we take them out as the cravings hit.
Check out The Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies from last year!
If you are still baking, these are a great one to make. This is my basic Shortbread recipe dressed up with drizzled chocolate and sprinkles. Because it’s Christmas!
Follow along the post for all the tips to get your cookies just right!
Tips For Getting the Shortbread Just right
- Chill the dough – chilling the dough is important so it doesn’t spread too much during baking. If don’t chill the dough, they will likely spread out during baking and become brown and flat.
- Don’t roll too flat – I like to roll my dough to about 1/2 inch thickness. Again, if you roll them too thin, they will brown quickly and be crisper.
Placing on The Cookie sheet and Baking
- I used a 3 Inch circle cutter, but you could use different shapes or sizes. I use a regular sized baking tray and fit 15 on a cookie sheet.
- Don’t over bake the cookies. Remember, all ovens bake differently. These will bake between 12 – 15 minutes. they will be soft in the center and just starting to lightly brown on the edges when they are ready.
- They will completely set and firm up as they cool.
Tips For Melting Chocolate and Decorating
- Place the chopped chocolate or chocolate chips in a double boiler. Place the double boiler over simmering water.
- You could use a heatproof bowl over a simmering pot of water
- Stir the chocolate as it melts and remove from heat as soon as it’s melted
IMPORTANT, If water or steam gets into the chocolate, it will seize and harden. Also, if it gets too hot it will seize. So make sure not to drop any water into the chocolate while it’s melting.
- I used a wire whisk to drizzle over the chocolate. I place a sheet of parchment paper under the cooling rack line up the cookies. Then I dip the whisk in the chocolate and kind of flick it around to create the mess you see below….haha
- Immediately add sprinkles so they stick to the chocolate.
- Leave on the cooling rack to dry completely
Chocolate Drizzled Shortbread ready to enjoy
There you have it friends, another Christmas cookie to add to your platter. Shortbread is easy to make and requires few ingredients. Just make sure you follow the instructions correctly and get your cookies holiday ready too!
Can I Freeze The cookies
Yes, the great part about these is that you can freeze them. They freeze fantastic. In fact, I still have some in the freezer.
Tips For Freezing
- Let cool completely
- Arrange in single layers between parchment paper in a well sealed freezer proof box.
- Take cookies out about 1/2 hour before consuming to ensure they defrost properly
Here’s Some Other Cookie Recipes You Might like
- Cranberry & White Chocolate Shortbread
- Whipped Shortbread
- Millionaire Walnut Shortbread
- Ginger and Cinnamon Cookies
- Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
And here’s some other Cookie Inspiration that love I from from around the web. Lord Byron’s Collections are always amazing. Rock Recipes has more Christmas Cookies than you can count. And my blogging friend Norine at Norine’s Nest just put together a great Christmas Cookie Collection as well. Check them all out if you need more holiday inspiration!
Well friends, I hope you like the cookies. If you’re still baking, give them a try.
I’m not done with Christmas recipes just yet. We still have a full week and I have a few more recipes coming your way so be sure to check back.
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get The Recipe!
Chocolate Drizzled Shortbread
- 2 Cups plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 Cup butter unsalted
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 4 oz semi sweet chocolate chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour with the salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter on high speed for about a minute. Sift in the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- Divide the dough into two portions. Form each one into a ball and then slightly flatten it with your hands. Wrap each disk and put it in the fridge for about 1/2 hour to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick. Using a 3 inch circle cutter, cut out as many as you can from each disk. Dough can be re rolled and cut again.
- Place cookies on the baking tray and bake for about 12 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the chocolate in a double boiler set over simmering water. Stir until it melts.
- When the cookies have cooled, drizzle over melted chocolate. Add sprinkles immediately so they stick to the chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to dry completely. Store in layers in a tupperwear box between sheets of parchment paper.