These Chocolate Macaroon Brownies are a perfect combination of sweetened coconut and a chewy brownie. If you haven’t finished off your Christmas baking, it’s not too late to add them to the list!
What are your favourite cookies to bake or just eat during the holidays? I know some people don’t bake at all so anything home made is special for Christmas. I almost fall into that category. Well, I do bake but I don’t have a lot of “must haves” for Christmas. However, if I were to pick two it would have to be Partrideberry Crumble Squares and Snowballs. You see those were two cookies we always had on hand during Christmas and they manage to stir up so many fond memories. There seems to be something about childhood and food that brings a rush of memories. And somehow, that’s comforting.
So, yes they are in my freezer waiting.
Apart from always making those two types of cookies, I dabble in trying out new stuff as well as sticking to just some regular treats that always seem to be a hit like Sugar Cookies and Chocolate Chip Cookies. There are always some favourites that I keep going back to over and over.
As for this little combo, I have made them just a few times and they are always successful. Well, at least with a few of us around here. My daughter doesn’t like coconut, so you can write her off. As for that husband of mine, he doesn’t usually indulge in cookies. Unless it comes in the form of a birthday cake, in which he might just eat the whole thing. True story, last week he ate (minus two pieces) his entire cake! Okay, it wasn’t huge, but he ate pretty much all of it! There is something oddly satisfying about someone gorging themselves on something you made…hahaha.
In any case, these cookies were left for just the two of us. Which is why, they are safely stored in the freezer away from me!
These particular brownies are so delicious. The macaroon topping just manages to bring them to that extra special place. I am not sure if they are as great as the Cream Cheese Brownies, but they are high on the list for sure. If you love brownies, they are a sure must try this holiday season. Yes, they freeze well. I have had these in the freezer for weeks now and have only sneaked a few which were as good as fresh. Well, as long as you have the patience to let them thaw.
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Chocolate Macaroon Brownies
For the Macaroon topping:
- 1 Egg white
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Cups dried flaked coconut
For the brownies:
- 4 ounces dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line and grease an 8 inch baking tin. Set aside.
- Make the macaroon topping by whisking together the egg white, sugar and salt in a small stainless steel bowl. Place the bowl over a simmering saucepan of water and whisk until it becomes creamy and thickens a little bit. This will just take about 2 – 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Make the brownie layer by melting the butter and chocolate together in a clean stainless steel bowl placed over a simmering saucepan of water. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla and the eggs one at a time. Whisk until completely incorporated. Fold in the flour and salt.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared pan and smooth out until even. Place mounds of the coconut topping over the brownie layer and smooth it out until the top is completely covered.
- Bake between 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs. Leave to cool before cutting into squares.