A beautiful velvety soup with the creaminess of the squash, the spice of the curry and the flavour of the coconut. Coconut Curried Butternut Squash Soup is a great warming soup with huge flavour!
It’s official, soup season is here. How is it that the temperature seems to go from scorching hot to freezing your you know whats off? It just seems like I was only just in shorts and flip flops and then I woke up in a parka. Okay, the parka might be a bit over kill, but it’s seriously gotten cold. Brrr!
And I’m not complaining at all. I love the cold, the crisp air, the log fires, the warm drinks and all the comfort food. I’m in 100% for fall and winter.
Which brings me straight to the soup.
Easy. Basic. Delicious. That sums it up really…ha!
Notes about the soup
- I used a curry powder blend for the seasoning as you will see in the recipe below. You can use whatever you have on hand. I used Madras which really gave the soup a bit of a kick which I loved. But you really can use what ever kind of curry powder you have. And if you don’t have any or would prefer to make your own spice combination. Here’s something you could go for. Maybe say 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/2 turmeric, 1/2 cumin and a pinch of hot paprika. Because I usually always blend my own spices, I know that combination will work.
- If you like your soup to have a bit of a kick, you could always add some hot pepper flakes or a small diced chilli. It all works.
- I blended the soup until it was pretty smooth, but you could leave it a bit chunkier if you like it that way.
The coconut flavour really comes through in this soup and it’s a great winter warmer.
Happy cooking friends and enjoy the cold.
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Coconut Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 Butternut squash peeled, de seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 carrots large, peeled, ends trimmed and cut in half length ways
- 1 Onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 Cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon hot curry powder
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- Small bunch fresh coriander
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add the squash and carrots to a large baking tray and drizzle over one tablespoon of the olive oil. Roast for about 35 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven.
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat a large saucepan over medium to high heat on the stove top. Add the remaining olive oil and garlic. Let sizzle for a minute and add the onion. Stir for a minute. Allow the onion to brown for a couple of minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and add a splash of stock to prevent the onions from sticking. Continue cooking the onions for about 15 minutes or until they have caramelised. Add the curry powder and stir for a minute.
- Add the roasted vegetables to the pot and stir for a minute. Add the stock, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and blend in batches.
- Return to pot and leave on a low heat for a few minutes.
- Serve topped with fresh coriander.
Leave a Reply