A new take on an classic salad. If you like the good ol’ classic Cesar salad, you are going to love this updated version. Grilled Cajun Chicken Salad is just perfect for summer.
Right, so I have never in my life made a classic cesar salad. Ever. It’s been on my to make list for as long as I can remember, but for some strange reason it has never materialized. I guess it’s not the entire truth, as I have made one or two using the bottle dressing, but never the dressing from scratch. It’s still on my to make list. And I made a promise to myself that before the sun sets on this summer, I will have made one! Considering it’s one of my all time favourite salads, I at least owe it to myself to give it a go and make it right.
In the meantime, until that day comes, I have this Grilled Cajun Chicken Salad that is worthy of the name and would make any Bistro proud. And if you love this recipe, you need to to check out my Cajun Dry Rub Chicken Wings.
Let’s get to the salad.
I make my own Cajun seasoning as I can’t buy it locally. It is easy and I usually make a small jar and keep in on hand. If you want to make your own Cajun seasoning, here is how I do it.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
Just mix it all together and store it in a little jar. It keeps forever. If you want to make a larger batch to keep on hand, just double or triple the recipe. If you prefer it less spicy, leave out the chilli flakes.
Notes About The Salad
- You can make your own croutons, it’s easy. Literally just cut up bread in small cubes, drizzle it with olive oil put it in the oven for about 5-8 minutes until crunchy. You can easily add herbs or seasoning to the croutons if you like.
- I cooked the chicken on the barbecue because it was easy. However, you can just as easily cook it on the stove top. Just add a little oil to a pan, get it hot and add the chicken. Cook each side for about 5-7 minutes until cooked through. Basically the same as if you were to cook it on the barbecue. If you happen to have a grill pan or a cast iron pan, even better.
- The dressing I made for this salad is a lighter version that the traditional dressing you would find in a Cesar salad but it really does make this salad delicious.
Happy salad making friends and enjoy good food!
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page
Get the recipe!
Grilled Cajun Chicken Salad
For the Salad:
- 1 large chicken breast flattened to about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1/2 Cup parmesan shavings
- 1 Cup croutons
- 4 Strips bacon
For the Dressing:
- 1 Cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon parmesan cheese finely grated
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- First make the dressing. In a medium bowl combine the yoghurt, olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar. Whisk to combine. Add the garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Stir in parmesan cheese until combined. Set aside.
- Rub the Cajun seasoning over both sides of the chicken. Cook the chicken on a preheated barbecue for about 6-7 minutes per side until cooked through. Remove from barbecue and cut into strips.
- Cook the bacon on the stove top until crispy. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
- Assemble the salad. Toss together the romane lettuce with the bacon bits, parmesan shavings and croutons. Top with chicken. Pour over dressing when ready to serve.