Ultimate comfort food soup right here. This Leek & Potato Soup is velvety, smooth and luscious soup. Don’t take my word for it, give it a try!
So if you’re like me and you don’t like white soup, give this one a try. It really does have a great flavour and wonderful for warming you up on these cold days. Plus it uses such few ingredients so it’s easy to make.
This is a great winter warmer of a soup and it’s so easy. Done relatively quickly and you can blend it in the pot if you have an immersion blender.
Take a look!
DON’T MISS OUT! SEE HOW TO MAKE FLUFFY WHITE DINNER ROLLS AND HAVE THEM WITH YOUR SOUP. YOU’LL BE GLAD YOU DID!
Notes about the Leek & Potato Soup
- Try and use a good quality vegetable stock. So, if you are not making your own (and most of us don’t on a regular basis lets face it!), buy the carton. The flavour is much better than the stock cubes.
- When you are cooking your potatoes and leeks (as you will see in the recipe below), you may need to add a little stock so it doesn’t stick. So just watch out for that.
Here’s Some Other Recipes You Might Like
- Potato & Leek Cakes
- Old Fashioned Scalloped Potatoes
- Hearty Vegetable & Lentil Soup
- Fluffy White Dinner Rolls
- Slow Cooker Tomato Soup with Fresh Tomatoes
I left this soup quite basic and didn’t even add garlic, which is very rare for me. But sometimes I do, so add a few crushed garlic cloves if you feel like it.
I topped this soup with some smoked Gouda, fresh parsley and black pepper. Garnishes are totally optional but they bring the soup to a whole new tasty level.
Happy soup making friends and see you soon!
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Leek & Potato Soup
- 3-4 potatoes medium, peeled, cleaned and diced into very small pieces
- 4 Leeks cleaned & sliced, greens discarded
- 1 onion medium, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Grated cheese
- Fresh ground black pepper
- In a large stainless steel pot, heat the butter until sizzling. Add potato, leeks and onions. Give a good toss for a few minutes with salt and pepper. Now reduce the heat to medium and cover with foil or parchment paper. Then return lid to pan and leave vegetables to cook for a further 12 to 15 minutes. Once the vegetables are soft, add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 8 minutes. Return soup from the pot and blend (in batches if needed) in a blender. Reserve pot. Once the soup is liquidized to a smooth texture, return to pot and add the cream. Bring to a boil once again and reduce to simmer for a few minutes until all flavours are blended.
- Serve topped with cheese, parsley and fresh ground black pepper.
*A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
6 Comments on “Leek & Potato Soup”
Does this soup freeze okay?
Hi Lisa, yes you can freeze it. For best results make sure it’s in either a good quality freezer container or ziplock bag. It will keep up to two months. You may need to add a little more broth after it’s defrosted, if it’s too thick. Hope this helps.
I used half and half and added bacon crumbles- so good!
The bacon addition sounds so good!