A great way to serve chicken breasts is by stuffing it! This Mozzarella and Tomato Stuffed Chicken makes a great mid week family dinner. Serve it with a salad or pasta and you’re all set!
It’s All About Chicken at This House
I am pretty sure chicken is the most cooked protein in this house. Everyone likes it, it’s easy to cook and so very versatile. Plus is budget friendly and when you’re feeding a family, you can’t argue with that.
Yesterday I was sitting down looking through the blog (which I don’t seem to do often enough) and counted 65 chicken dishes! And that’s not including the ones in the pasta section or other areas of the blog. So I take that as a lot of chicken.
Love Cooking Old Favourites
Like everyone, we have our favourites that we seem to cook over and over again without blinking. It would be a lot easier though if everyone’s favourite was the same dish. And you guessed it, that is not the way it works. Because that would just make life to easy. And don’t we all love complicated? Not! But that is usually the way life goes.
As I was looking through the chicken dishes I realised that I cook the same ones over and over again and leave probably about 40 of them sitting on the back burner. Dishes that I cooked in testing new recipes then filed them in forgotten. So, I think I should look through the blog more because there’s a lot of recipes here..ha!
Here’s Some of Our Family Favourite Chicken Recipes
So what are our favourite chicken dishes? I would say coming in at a landslide is the Loaded Chicken Quesadillas. I made those least once every few weeks and everyone loves them and there are never leftovers. That’s another true telling sign of how well the food was received, is there any left over? If I see half unfinished plates, I know dinner was deemed unsuccessful.
Another winner around here is Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff. I’ve probably been making that for 20 years and I am sure I will keep on making it. Kids love it, I love it and the husband eats it! Mind you he puts piri piri sauce on it to give it a bit of a kick. To each their own.
All Time Personal FAvourite
My personal favourite chicken dish is Chicken Tikka Masala. Now you are talking a great chicken dish. It takes a while to prepare and cook, but it’s 100% worth it. If you haven’t tried it, you should go check it out and you won’t be disappointed. Click the link here. And you can’t have Indian without Nann Bread. The best Stove Top Nann Bread recipe can also be found here!
Those are just a few to sum up many well devoured chicken dishes at our kitchen table.
Let’s Talk About the Chicken
Now, onto this chicken dish.
I have to admit, I loved it! This was literally a cleaning out the fridge before grocery day. Quite often I find those are my most inspirational dishes and end in great results. Note taken to self, no preplanning….ha!
They key ingredients to giving this dish so much flavour were the sun dried tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. So if you are planning on any substitutions, don’t leave those two out. I would say they are key components to giving the filling such great flavour. And I wasn’t even planning on the balsamic vinegar, it was a complete afterthought. But one that really brought this dish to life.
I used fresh bread crumbs for a big crumb texture. Don’t use the fine crumb bag kind for this dish.
Apart from that I would say this is an easy dish and can be prepared pretty quickly and enjoyed on week nights.
What To Serve with The Mozzarella and Tomato Stuffed Chicken
I served this with just some simple pasta as you will see here. There is no recipe for the side dish, but here’s what I did if you are interested.
Cooked the pasta, added a little olive oil, sea salt, chopped sun dried tomatoes, a little parmesan and black better. Done! Took just a few minutes and was a great side to this chicken. Salad would also be a great choice for a lighter meal.
Happy Cooking friends and when you are stuck for dinner, there’s always chicken.
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Mozzarella & Tomato Stuffed Chicken
- 2 Chicken breast flattened to about 1/2 inch thickness
- 4 Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 4 Sun dried tomatoes chopped (packed in oil)
- 1 Cup bread crumbs approx 3 slices of bread
- 1 fresh mozzarella ball, grated
- 1/2 Cup parmesan grated
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Small bunch fresh parsley roughly chopped
- 1 Teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and have ready a deep sided baking dish.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the olive oil and garlic. Let sizzle for just a minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and give a good stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 – 15 minutes or until the tomatoes are completely softened. Add the sun dried tomatoes, half of the dried herbs and half of the fresh parsley, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir well and leave on heat for about a minute. Remove from heat and add the mozzarella cheese and half of the parmesan. Stir well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, remaining parmesan cheese, remaining dry herbs, remaining parsley, garlic powder, onion powder and melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture in the middle of the chicken breast and fold over firmly. Place in the baking dish. Evenly top with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for around 30 minutes or until golden and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and spoon over the pan juices to serve.