Why not try these Parmesan & Chive Biscuits. A light and fluffy biscuit filled with sharp parmesan cheese and fresh chives. These are great served warm or at room temperatures alongside some Minestrone Soup or even a crisp salad.
Difference between Scones & Biscuits
Do you know the difference? Well to be honest, the difference is so slight and I’ve made both over the years confusing each or the other one. Here’s quick and basic explanation of the two below.
British Scones generally have a higher sugar content, are made with milk and are usually served as a sweet treat. Served with jam and cream.
American Biscuits have a lower sugar content, made quite often with cream or buttermilk and are served as a savoury treat alongside soups, stews, etc.
I’m sure there are many other explanations out there and probably some much more in depth and lengthy with a more scientific explanation….hahaha. But that sums it up in my books. Hope you find it helpful
And to confuse things even further, growing up, we always called these sorts of things buns. Mind you we certainly never had any with parmesan and chives. However, they were buns. Which kind of makes sense. Biscuits were things like cookies. And cookies were always bar cookies. Okay, I got myself confused now.
In any case, what ever you choose to call them, they are pretty easy to make and great for soups, stews and what nots.
I recently made these to bring to a friend’s house to go alongside soup and they went down fantastic. The parmesan and chives really bring a great flavour to this scone….err, biscuit!
Happy biscuit making friends and I’ll see you all real soon!
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Parmesan & Chive Biscuits
- 2 Cups plain flour
- 4 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons butter cold, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan finely grated
- Small bunch of fresh chives chopped
- 1 Cup buttermilk or whole milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine and add the pieces of butter. Using your hands, incorporate the butter until it resembles bread crumbs. Add the parmesan and chives and stir to incorporate. Add the milk and stir until it just comes together and forms a dough.
- Drop the dough by tablespoons onto the baking sheet. Repeat until you have used all your dough. Bake between 12 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven and best served straight away.