Why not jazz up your side dish with this Sherry Sauteed Asparagus & Carrots dish. A quick, easy and nutritious side that goes great with roast chicken, pork or even seafood.
Earlier in the week I said I would have more dishes to go with that Spring roast. Finally, here is the second recipe for that menu. It’s not Sunday yet, so there is still time to get it done for a weekend lunch.
This side dish is super quick and really tasty. It went so well with the Thyme & Lemon Roasted Potatoes and the chicken. The sherry added a bit of sweetness without overpowering it too much. I never drink sherry, but I do love to cook with it. This dish is classic case of how a little sherry can go a long way to creating flavour.
Like so many dishes, the flavour comes from the raw ingredients themselves. This dish is a classic case in point. It uses very few ingredients because it doesn’t really need much. I always say if you start with great ingredients you are bound to get a great dish. So, no substituting frozen vegetables for this side dish.
I used a sweet sherry for this dish. If you don’t have sherry, you could use brandy. That would easily work in this dish nicely.
Notes About The Sherry Sauteed Asparagus & carrots
- II cut the carrot in quarters length ways and then cut each long stick into 3 pieces. Make sense? I found this to be a great size for cooking this dish.
- You could use baby carrots if you have them, but I would cut them in half length ways, otherwise they won’t cook properly.
- I used good thick asparagus. It was really fresh. When buying asparagus, make sure the tips are firm and not soft. If the tips are soft, this is a sign the asparagus is a bit too ripe. If I ever end up with asparagus like this, I cut the tips off completely.
- Cooking this dish is pretty easy. If you notice your vegetables are browning too quickly at the beginning, reduce the heat a little and add a splash of water. This always helps. That pretty much sums it up for this very easy stove top side dish.
If you love side dishes like this one, you have to check out my Hearty Vegetable Hash.
Get the recipe!
Sherry Sauteed Asparagus & Carrots
- 5 carrots peeled, ends trimmed and cut into thick matchsticks
- 12 spears asparagus Aprox 12 Spears, ends trimmed and cut into 3 pieces each
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed crushed
- 1/4 Cup Sweet sherry
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- In a large skillet set over medium to high heat, add the olive oil and the garlic. Stir for just a minute. Add the vegetables and toss really well. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes, tossing regularly. Add all the sherry at once and give a really good stir. Cook for a further 5 minutes or so until the vegetables have softened but still have a slight crunch. Remove from heat and serve straight away.