Don’t you think these Smoked Salmon Pate Vol au Vents are the cutest little holiday appetizer. Make ahead of time and serve at your next party. A store bought vol-au-vent filled with a creamy smoked salmon pate that’s topped with fresh dill and a tart berry. A great make ahead festive appetizer.
Let’s party like it’s 1965 this holiday season & break out the vol-au-vents. These little morsels of yumminess can see you through any entertaining this season from pre Christmas parties right through to a big ol’ New Year’s Eve bash. If you are looking for a pretty appetizer that takes no time to put together, this could just be what you are looking for. Now grab a glass of Bailey’s and break out Bing Crosby because Christmas is coming!
Notes About This Appetizer
- Make ahead – These appetizer are great for the holiday season. One of the great things is that you can make them in advance and keep them in the fridge until just before serving.
- Using Store bought vol-au-vents – You will notice in the recipe below that I used store bought mini vol-au-vents. They worked great. If you can’t find them at your grocery store, you could just buy puff pastry and cut them into small circles, bake them and and then top with the pate. Okay, not quite a vol-au-vent, but still delish!
If you are planning a drinks mingle party or are going to an event, I think they are really great. They are easy to make and can even be done in advance. You can even make the pate the day before and just fill the cases a few hours before. I probably wouldn’t garnish them until serving because the dill will wilt and the berries might run.
Stay tuned over the next few weeks for many more holiday inspired recipes!
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Smoked Salmon Vol au Vents
For the pate:
- 6 oz smoked salmon
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 2 Spring onions finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- Small bunch of fresh dill finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 24 vol-au-vent cases mini size
- Fresh dill garnish
- Red currant berries garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, lemon juice, spring onions, garlic, dill, salt and pepper. Stir really well to combine.
- On a large chopping board, lay our the smoked salmon. Chop it into thin strips and then cut the strips into very small pieces. Continue chopping until the salmon is cut into very small pieces.
- Add the salmon to the cream cheese mixture and stir well.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases. Top with a sprig of fresh dill and a red currant berry.