This Spiced Lentils and Spinach dish dabbles on the side of comforting. Not only is it nutritious and budget friendly, it is tasty and on the table in just 15 minutes. Yes, I did say 15 minutes! You can’t really argue with that time scale for dinner.
This is a dish that I have been cooking for a whole bunch of years now. The recipe was given to me by a friend after I had the pleasure of having it at her house for dinner. Her version had the addition of shrimp, but they don’t feature in this recipe. However, the shrimp version is equally yummy.
Admittedly this is not a kids’ favourite around my house. So they opted for a frozen pizza. That’s the kind of mom I tend to be at times. At times, meaning pretty much always.
Notes About The Spiced Lentils and Spinach
- One of the wonderful things about this dish is that is really is so quick. I used cooked lentils so it took that step away. Also a big time saver.
- If you are planning to cook your own lentils, you will have to allow for that in the cooking time. Do you know that you can cook lentils in advance and freeze them? Well, I have done it many times and it works a treat. Or you can just buy a jar. Easy.
For us adults of the house, it is as dish we love and have it about once a month. I love serving it topped with Greek yoghurt and flat bread on the side. Not essential but I think makes the dinner that much more enjoyable.
Now, time to get on with thinking about warming dishes for September and getting back into the kitchen.
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Spiced Lentils & Spinach
- 2 Cups lentils cooked
- 2 Cups spinach fresh
- 1 Red onion finely chopped
- 1 Spring onion finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 Teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bunch of fresh cilantro chopped
- Heat a tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet and add the red onion, spring onion and garlic. Cook on high heat for about 5 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to medium and add lentils, balsamic vinegar, remaining oil, and all the spices. Cook for a further few minutes allowing the spices to infuse with the lentils. Add the fresh spinach, reserving a small amount for dressing the plates. Stir well until all the spinach has wilted. Finally, throw in the fresh chopped cilantro. Serve topped with Greek yoghurt and flat bread.
*A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.