These Spinach and Herb Stuffed Tomatoes were absolutely delicious! They make a great side dish or even a starter. Using vine tomatoes and filling them with fresh spinach, lots of herbs, parmesan cheese and onions. A wonderful idea for summer eating and a great way to use up extra tomatoes from the garden!
I haven’t cooked in two whole days! Well, unless you count the frozen hamburgers and French fries I made for the kids Saturday lunch time. Can’t really count that. And now I am actually starting to twitch and itch to get back into the kitchen. That is where I will be the entire afternoon. Fingers crossed there are no distractions.
Even in the heat of summer, it’s still nice to get into the kitchen creating dishes like these Spinach & Herb Stuffed Tomatoes. These were delish and I ate my fair share of them. So let’s take a look!
What we Need To Make The Tomatoes
- Vine tomatoes
- Spinach roughly chopped
- Bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Onion finely diced
- Spring onions finely chopped
- Fresh basil
- Garlic cloves crushed
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Teaspoon salt
REMEMBER, the full recipe and instructions is always found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
Notes about the tomatoes
- Use ripe vine tomatoes. These will give the best flavour and end result. Avoid big tomatoes, green tomatoes or any type of salad tomatoes. It will result in a disappointing end as the tomatoes will most likely be hard.
- Make your own bread crumbs as you don’t really want to use fine bread crumbs in this recipe. You are looking for something more like stuffing.
- Fresh spinach is the best flavour for these tomatoes, so I would probably avoid using the frozen stuff. You can used baby spinach or just regular bigger spinach roughly cut. Both work perfect.
Happy cooking friends and happy Monday!
Here’s Some Other Recipes You Might Like To Try
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Spinach & Herb Stuffed Tomatoes
- 6 Tomatoes
- 1 bag spinach roughly chopped
- 1 Cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 Cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 2 Spring onions finely chopped
- Small bunch fresh chopped basil
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease with olive oil a deep sided baking dish.
- Cut the tomatoes into half and scoop out the centers. Place all the tomatoes in the baking dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the olive oil and garlic. Stir for a minute and add the onions. Cook the onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the spring onions and cook for a further minute or so. Add the spinach and sautee until wilted, just about a minute. Add the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, oregano, salt, pepper and fresh basil. Stir well and leave on the heat for about a minute.
- Evenly spoon the mixture into all the tomatoes. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft. Remove from oven.
- Can be topped with extra parmesan and basil before serving.