I’m pretty sure this the Classic Caprese Salad is my absolute favourite salad of all time. It’s simple, basic and good. This version uses cherry tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, fresh basil and arugula leaves. A wonderful summer side!
Light and fresh salads are perfect for the heat. And can I tell you just how hot it is right now? Melting would be the answer my friends. So, I’ll just be making salads all week long. This Classic Caprese Salad honestly has been a favourite of my for about two decades now and it just never disappoints at all. Made with just a few fresh ingredients in about 10 minutes.
If you’re a fan of salads, don’t forget to check out my post for 15 Fresh Summer Salads. A great roundup for a whole lot of summer goodness.
- Tomatoes – I decided to use cherry (grape) tomatoes for this recipe.
- Mozzarella – I love the look that these fresh mozzarella pearls give to this salad.
- Herbs – You can’t beat the taste of fresh basil leaves in a caprese salad.
- Salad leaves – I decided to use peppery arugula for the base of this easy salad.
REMEMBER, The full recipe and instructions is always found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
- Tomatoes – wash and cut the tomatoes in half.
- Mozzarella pearls – cut the mozzarella balls in half.
- Assemble salad – In a salad bowl, add the arugula leaves and top with the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella pearls and fresh basil leaves.
- Dress salad – this salad is best dressed with olive oil, white wine vinegar and sea salt.
- Serve – serve this salad as soon as you dress it.
Assemble The Salad
- Start with the arugula base and then put the tomatoes and mozzarella pearls on top of the leaves. Then add as many basil leaves as you would like according to how much you like. Don’t dress it until just before serving.
What Dressings are good to serve with this salad
- Olive oil and vinegar – I personally love this salad with basic extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar and sea salt. The best!
- Lemon Vinaigrette – to add a bit of a punch to this salad you could choose this dressing. A great alternative for sure.
- Balsamic glaze – this adds a wonderful flavour.
- Italian dressing – always a great option.
Frequently Asked Questions
The caprese salad is one form of a caprese dish. It can also be served in a pizza or pasta version. The salad originated in the Island of Capri.
A traditional caprese salad consists of tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and olive oil. Generally the tomatoes are large and sliced and the mozzarella is sliced from a large ball of fresh mozzarella cheese.
Caprese is traditionally served in a salad as tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Brushcetta is toasted bread topped with diced tomatoes.
Classic Caprese Salad
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 oz mozzarella pearls
- 1 cup fresh arugula leaves
- Small handful of fresh basil leaves
- Wash and cut the tomatoes in half and cut the mozzarella pears in half.
- In a salad bowl, add the arugula leaves and top with the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella pearls and fresh basil leaves.
- This salad is best dressed with olive oil, white wine vinegar and sea salt. Serve this salad as soon as you dress it.