Why not brighten up a cool January day with this Warm Chicken & Avocado Salad. A healthy option heading into the new year that’s also delicious!
I think this salad is a bit like chicken fajitas on a plate, minus the wrap! After I made it, I realized they are just like chicken fajitas. So why not put this salad in a wrap if you feel so inclined. I have to say, it was pretty tasty just how it is and made for a very quick lunch after a long morning out in the cold.
notes about the Warm Chicken & Avocado Salad
- I used a cast iron grill skillet to cook the chicken. It cooks to absolute perfection every single time. Plus you get those pretty grill marks which will make you feel like it came off a barbecue.
- Don’t slice the avocado strips too thin or they will fall apart. I cut eight strips for my whole avocado. They were nice and thick and didn’t even think about falling apart. Finding the perfect avocados can be quick tricky, but these were as close to perfection as you can get.
- Try slicing your peppers and onions as thin as you can. I find thin slices go nicer in a salad like this. Plus they cook faster.
That pretty much sums it all up as it is just an easy salad. If you feel like squeezing over a bit more lemon juice once the salad is all done, go for it! And if you love this salad, be sure to check out my Avocado and Corn Salad as well.
Enjoy folks and see you all soon!
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Warm Chicken & Avocado Salad
- 1 Chicken breast cut into 4 strips length ways
- 1 small red pepper cut into strips
- 1 small onion cut into strips
- 1 Tomato diced
- 1 Avocado halved and cut into strips
- 4 cloves cloves crushed and divided
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- Sea salt
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- In a large bowl combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, 1/2 of the garlic, and a little salt. Stir well, add the chicken breast and coat completely. Set aside.
- In a large skillet set over high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, remaining garlic, peppers and onions. Stir well and add the hot sauce. Sautee for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the peppers are cooking, heat another skillet over high heat and add remaining olive oil. Add the chicken and cook each side for about 7 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat when cooked.
- Divide the salad among two plates. Staring with the peppers, topped with chicken, tomato and avocado slices. Sprinkle over a little fresh cilantro and serve.