If you are looking for a one pot quick dinner, I got it for you today! This Chicken Broccoli and Cashew Stir Fry is all done in under half and hour and in one pot. A great family dinner any day of the week.
If you’ve been following the blog for sometime now, you’ll know I’m a stir fry fan! A while ago I put together 20 Easy Weeknight Stir Fry Recipes. And that collection has it all, including my favourite Easy Teriyaki Shrimp and Rice. Do you enjoy making stir fry dinners?
What’s Great About This Chicken Broccoli and Cashew Stir Fry
- Quick – Yes, stir fry’s are quick to cook and this dinner is no exception with the cooking time coming in under 20 minutes. And we all know that Quick Dinners are the key to weekday survival!
- Prep ahead – If you are into meal prep, this is one of those meals where you can easily prepare everything before hand, keep it in the fridge and then have dinner on the table in under 20 minutes!
- Healthy – this recipe uses very little oil, is high in vegetables and low fat chicken. Each portion comes in under 500 calories. So, if you looking for a lower calorie dinner, this is a great one for you. Check my post for 31 Dinner Recipes Under 500 Calories if you looking for more options.
- Taste – of course it’s got to taste good. This recipe has a fresh flavour with all the vegetables and the soy and teriyaki sauce.
- Chicken – I used whole chicken breast cut into small pieces for this recipe.
- Fresh ingredients – This recipe uses broccoli, mushrooms, onions, spring onion and fresh garlic.
- Sauces & seasonings – I used a mix of soy sauce and teriyaki sauce for this stir fry. I also added some small dried chilies finely chopped up and salt.
- Nuts and seeds – this recipe uses both cashew nuts and sesame seeds.
- Oil – I used sesame oil for flavour.
- For thickening the sauce – I made a thickener out of corn flour and water.
REMEMBER, The full recipe and instructions can be found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
- Marinade chicken – In a small bowl, combine the teriyaki sauce, sesame oil, chilies, salt and garlic. Stir well. Put the chopped chicken in a large bowl and pour over the marinade. Stir well to combine.
- Cook the chicken – Place a wok over high heat and add the sesame oil. Add the chicken with the marinade and give a good toss. Cook the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Cook the vegetables – Add the broccoli, mushrooms and onions. Give a really good stir and allow to cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cashew nuts.
- Thicken the sauce – Mix together the corn flour and water. Pour into the pan and stir until the sauce thickens, about 30 seconds to one minute.
- Garnish – Remove from heat and top with finely chopped spring onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve – Serve with rice or noodles
Notes about the chicken Stir Fry
- Cooking time – the cooking time for this dish is pretty quick. This took exactly 12 minutes to cook. Yours may take longer or quicker depending on the size of your chicken pieces and the type of pan/wok you use. I used a wok which heat up and cook quickly.
- Chicken – I used chicken breasts cut into small pieces for this recipe. I find, it cooks best. If you prefer, you could use boneless chicken thighs cut up small. The cooking time will be a little longer.
- Thickening the sauce – if you prefer a thinner sauce, you don’t need to use the thickening agent. This dish isn’t overly saucy but there is some sauce. I chose to thicken it for this recipe so that it coated the chicken and the vegetables better.Oh, I garnished the dish with extra cashew nuts and sesame seeds for a final touch. I usually always garnish my final plates but it’s isn’t necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you don’t necessarily need a wok to make a great stir fry, you can use a deep sided skillet. If you do have a wok use it though. A wok is made of steel and it heats up and cooks quickly. The curved and round shape of a wok ensures that the cooked food is less oily.
Teriyaki sauce is a Japanese stir fry sauce that contains light soy sauce rice wine vinegar, sugar and/or honey. Stir fry sauce is generally just soy sauce, sesame oil and sometimes cornflour.
Chicken Broccoli and Cashew Stir Fry
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- 1 head broccoli cut into small florets
- 1 Cup mushrooms cut into quarters
- 1 small onion halved and cut into strips
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup cashew nuts
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 Cup soy sauce
- 1/3 Cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 Dried chilies finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoons corn flour
- 2 Tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, combine the teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, chilies, salt and garlic. Stir well. Put the chopped chicken in a large bowl and pour over the marinade. Stir well to combine.
- Place a wok over high heat and add the sesame oil. Add the chicken with the marinade and give a good toss. Cook the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Add the broccoli, mushrooms and onions. Give a really good stir and allow to cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cashew nuts.
- Mix together the corn flour and water. Pour into the pan and stir until the sauce thickens, about 30 seconds to one minute.
- Remove from heat and top with finely chopped spring onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve with rice or noodles.