Get dinner on the table in a hurry with this Easy Teriyaki Shrimp and Rice. A great mid week meal using rice, shrimp and peas all done in one pot.
If you’re anything like me, you are probably always on the hunt for quick and easy dinners. As much as I enjoy spending hours in the kitchen when there’s time, I love nothing better than a dinner I can get on the table in 30 minutes or less. Who’s with me, raise your hand?
This dinner was honest to goodness so good. We all loved it and practically licked our plates. Well, not my daughter. She’s not a fan of shrimp so much. But the rest of the family, a big yes. Which means, I’ll be filing this one in favourites pronto. Not only is it quick and easy, it’s all done in one pan on the stove. And you got to love that. Keep reading to see how you can get this on the table this week.
Here’s What You Need To Make This Easy Teriyaki Shrimp & Rice
- Shrimp raw, peeled and cleaned (approximately 20)
- Basmati rice
- Green peas
- Onion, finely diced
- Garlic crushed
- Green onions finely diced
- Teriyaki sauce
- Olive oil (or sesame oil)
- Sesame seeds
REMEMBER, The full recipe and instructions is located a the end of the post in the recipe card!
Let’s Cook The Easy Teriyaki Shrimp & Rice
- Heat pan – add oil to the pan and heat it for just about a minute
- Add onions and garlic – add in your onions and garlic and give a good stir. Cook down until soft and slightly browned. This will take about 5 – 8 minutes
- Add shrimp – add the shrimp to the pan
- Cook shrimp – just cook the shrimp for about 30 seconds to a minute. Just enough time until they start to turn pink.
- Add rice & peas – next up, add the soaked and drained rice and the peas to the pan. Give a good stir.
- Pour over all the water. Pour in the water and give a good stir. Reduce heat to medium low and leave to cook for about 10 minutes or until the water has absorbed and the rice is tender.
Finish off The Stove Top Shrimp & Rice Dish
- Remove the pan from the heat – take the pan off the stove and fluff the rice with a fork
- Add Teriyaki Sauce – Pour over the teriyaki sauce and stir well to combine
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds – I always like to garnish dishes. So, I finished off this dish with finely chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
Enjoy the One Pot Teriyaki Shrimp & Rice
Fresh off the stove and ready to enjoy. This is a great mid week dinner and a recipe you’ll want to make on repeat. Honestly friends, we loved it. And as the cook, I loved it because of how quick and easy it was. I’m already thinking of other variations I can make to share with you all. And if you have any suggestions, please let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you.
Prep and Cooking tips For This Easy Teriyaki Shrimp & rice Dish
- Shrimp – you can either buy prepared shrimp or do it at home. I recommend buying them in shells and peeling and cleaning them yourself. They are generally more flavorful as they hold less water. But if you find a prepared kind that you like, go with those. Also, buy bigger shrimp if you can for this dish.
- Soaking the rice – don’t skip this for this recipe. Soaking the rice, allows the rice to cook quicker. Which means the shrimp will be tender in the end as the rice won’t have to take too long to cook.
- Seasonings – I didn’t add any salt to this dish, as it didn’t need it. Depending on the brand of Teriyaki sauce you use, you may need salt. Season according to taste.
Are There Any substitutions I can Make To this Easy
I always like to say, that substitutions are welcome in so many many recipes, just not baking….hahaha. But with quick and easy dinner recipes, I like to think that you can use other ingredients to get this on the table for yourself or your family. So for this recipe I’ll let you know of some substitutions that work.
- Shrimp – you could use small pieces of cut up chicken, that would work really well also.
- Rice – this recipe uses Basmati rice, you could use quick cooking long grain rice as well. Avoid rices that take a long time to cook
- Peas – You could use very tine cut up broccoli florets. Make sure they are really small and you blanche them before hand.
- Teriyaki Sauce – Hoisin or Soy Sauce would both work really well also.
Make it and love it! Without sounding like a broken record, you need to check out the Quick Dinners section. I have so many 30 minute dinners there and something for everyone. From my Lemon Crusted Baked Cod to Easy Garlic Mushroom Spaghetti to Everything Bagel Chicken Tenders. Dinner doesn’t need to be complicated! Happy cooking friends and see you all in a couple of days with a fantastic fall dessert!
Get The Recipe!
Easy Teriyaki Shrimp & Rice
- 1 lb shrimp raw, peeled and cleaned (approximately 20)
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 green onions finely diced
- 1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or sesame oil)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Soak the Basmati rice in cold water for about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium sized skillet set over medium to high heat, add the olive oil and onion. Sautee down for about 5 – 8 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the shrimp to the pan and give a good stir for about a minute. Add the rice and peas and stir.
- Add the water and give a quick stir. Reduce heat to medium and let cook for a further 10 minutes or until the water has absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Add the Teriyaki sauce and stir well. Top with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.