Make this Lemon Crusted Baked Cod for your next dinner. Cod topped with a lemon bread crumb mixture and baked in the oven. It’s on the table in under 30 minutes which makes it a great mid week dinner.
Keeping it light today after a deluge of Sweets Recipes recently. Not that I’m against all that sugar…haha! But if you are looking for something light and easy, this Lemon Crusted Baked Cod is for you! Much like my Crusted Perch with Parsley Sauce and the Pan Fried Hake, it’s a great dinner!
Why you ask?
- Well, it’s quick and we all love that.
- It’s easy, even better.
- It’s budget friendly, YES!
- And if you love fish, you’re really gonna’ love this one.
You know what? It’s Valentine’s Day this weekend! Do you celebrate? Or is it a bit on the blah side for you? Well, honestly over the years, we’ve done romantic dinners at home, kids crafting days, family dinners and just about everything else as well. This year, keeping it low key and will probably make a family breakfast.
My 16 year old asked if we could make some heart shaped pancakes. How cute! So, we might get out the batter and make just that.
And thinking ahead to the dinner, I’m thinking simple. Ideally something like this Lemon Cod would be wonderful, but if it’s for the family, I might stick with chicken.
But if you love fish, keep this dish in mind to make your celebration at home extra easy. So, let’s take a look how easy this cod dish comes together.
What We Need To Make The Lemon Crusted Baked Cod
We’re using such simple and basic ingredients and you won’t believe how great it is. If we lived in a perfect world, fresh cod would be wonderful. But, let’s face it, we don’t! So, frozen cod is just perfect.
- 1 good sized cod fillet
- 1 cup bread crumbs (I used Panko)
- Salt and Pepper
Remember, the full recipe and instructions will always be found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Place the fish in a baking dish and squeeze over the lemon juice
- Chop the parsley, grate the lemon zest and crush the garlic
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the butter and garlic until it sizzles.
- Add the bread crumbs, salt, pepper and parsley. Give a really good stir.
- Add the lemon zest and give another stir for just about 30 seconds.
- The bread crumbs should be slightly golden and crisp. Remove from heat.
- Top the cod with with the bread crumb mixture and firmly pat it down. I’ve added a few lemon slices to the top for decoration! This doesn’t really add anything the flavour but it just looks pretty. Right?
- Now pop in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. It will flake apart when done.
baked Cod Fresh From The Oven
Can’t you almost taste it now? I’m telling you, make this dish if you love fish. Cod can be quite bland just on its own. I mean, I love the stuff, but I like to dress it up. This crisp lemon topping does just that.
I’ve made this so many time over the years with different variations, and this one we love. So, finally I’m getting around to sharing it today!
What are some Great Side Dishes to Serve with This Lemon Cod
Honestly, the sky is the limit for this dish. But if I were to pick a few, my Crispy Oven Roasted Parmesan Potatoes would be high on that list. Or even something like my Quinoa Salad with Orange and Pistachios. And if you looking for something a little more indulgent, why not the Old Fashioned Scalloped Potatoes. Those really are treat all by themselves!
If you thinking about something by way of salads, why not take a look at the Grilled Vegetable & Chickpea Salad, it’s delish! There’s so much more, just head to the Salads & Side Dishes Section on the blog. So many delicious dishes.
Here’s Some More Delicious Cod Recipes
- Cod Piccada with Sauteed Brussel Sprouts
- Crispy Cod Nuggets with Cajun Aliolli
- Cod au Gratin
- Cod and Leek Cakes with Tartar Sauce
- Crispy Cod Cakes with Parsley Sauce
Well friends, that’s about it for the easy cod dish. If you make it let me know, I’d love to hear from you. And if you have any questions, just shoot me a line. I’m just a click away.
Have a great weekend and Valentine’s day if you celebrating.
Happy cooking and I’ll see you all next week.
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Lemon Crusted Baked Cod
- 1 lb cod fillet
- 1 Cup bread crumbs
- Juice from one lemon
- Zest from one lemon
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- Small bunch of fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the cod fillets in an oven proof dish and set aside.
- In a small skillet set over low heat, melt the butter and add the garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes until the garlic is sizzling.
- Add the bread crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper. Give a good stir and add the lemon zest. Stir well and remove from heat.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the cod fillets and top each fillet with the bread crumb mixture. Bake for about 20 minutes until the cod is cooked through and the topping is golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven and serve immediately.