You can put this Green Olive Chicken dish together in minutes, pop it in the oven and forget about it until dinner. A baked chicken dish loaded with cherry tomatoes, green olives, garlic and lemon zest for lots of flavour. Easy enough for mid week dinners and fancy enough for weekend entertaining.
- Slice the olives and garlic, it’s best to use olives that are already pitted. Peel the garlic and slice it in half.
- Evenly sprinkle over the top the tomatoes, olives and garlic slices, just make sure the entire top is somewhat covered.
- Bake the chicken, in a preheated 375 degrees f/190 degrees c oven. The chicken will be done when juices run clear and it’s browned on the top.
MAKE AHEAD TIP! At this stage, you can cover and refrigerate until you are ready to cook the chicken.
Enjoy The Chicken
Like I said earlier, this really is one of my go to dishes. It’s easy to make and absolutely delicious. And did I not mention how easy it is! It really doesn’t get a whole lot easier than this easy dish. I’ve been making this dish for almost 20 years and it really never ever disappoints.
Here’s a Few Tips To get This Chicken Just right
- Use all of the ingredients listed in the recipe card! For once in my life, I’m saying no to substitutions for this dish. Everything is needed to bring all the deliciousness that this dish deserves.
- Let the chicken rest, when you take it out of the oven, allow it to sit for about 15 minutes before serving. The chicken will be more tender and flavourful, if you leave it for just a small amount of time before serving.
Can You Use White Chicken Meat for this reicpe
Okay, I’ve made this with both chicken breasts and chicken thighs. Hands down, the thighs are better. If you do choose to use chicken breasts for this recipe, I strongly suggest using bone in with skin on. Otherwise the chicken will be dry.
What Would Be Great To serve With This Chicken
- Grains – You Could choose the Roasted Vegetable Couscous, Harissa Spiced Quinoa or the Summer Quinoa Salad
- Potatoes – The Crispy Oven Roasted Parmesan Baby Potatoes would be fantastic! As well, the Thyme & Lemon Roasted Potatoes would be great also.
- Salads – The quick and easy Goat Cheese & Pecan Salad, the Roasted Pepper & Feta Salad or the Garden Vegetable Salad in a Honey Lime Dressing would all work well.
I hope you enjoy the chicken dish and get a chance to make it sometime. It’s a keeper. Happy cooking friends and I’ll be back soon with more delicious kitchen inspiration.
If you Love This Chicken Dish, Here’s Some More You Need to Check Out
Get the recipe!
Green Olive Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs if you prefer less fat, remove the skin
- 1 1/2 Cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup green olives pitteted and cut in half
- 6 cloves garlic cut in half
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- A bunch of flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F/190 degrees C.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Place the chicken in a deep in a deep sided baking dish. Evenly pour over the marinade. Top with cherry tomatoes, green olives and garlic slices.
- Bake in the oven for about 50 – 60 minutes until chicken is fully cooked and browned. *After about 30 minutes of cooking, coat the chicken in the pan juices using a spoon.
- Remove from oven when done and let rest about 15 minutes before serving.
*A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.