Get into the Halloween spirit of things with these Halloween Mummy Sausage Rolls. With just three simple ingredients, these are easy to make with little ones. You just need sausages, puff pastry and a egg. Use you own decorating flare to dress them up how you like!
Continuing the Easy Halloween Series today with these Halloween Mummy Sausage Rolls. These are just perfect to make with your little ones this Halloween season. If you’ve been following along this week you would have seen the Halloween Macaroni & Cheese, Witches Broomsticks and the Halloween Guacamole. All easy recipes that your kids might like to help out with.
One of the things that makes this recipes so great is that most kids love them. I’ve served these over the years at just about every Halloween party and they were always eaten, never a crumb left. I make my regular Sausage Rolls too, and they are always a hit.
Here’s The Ingredients You Need To Make The Sausage Mummies
- Sheet of puff pastry
- Sausages, the thin kind work perfect for this recipe
- Egg, beaten
REMEMBER, The full recipe and instructions can always be found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
Let’s Make The Halloween Mummy Sausage Rolls
- Cut the pastry into strips – I found using a pizza cutter worked best. Cut the puff pastry into thin strips. Mine were probably about 1/4 of an inch
- Roll up the sausages – take a strip and wrap it around the sausage. Make sure to press firmly at the end so it doesn’t detach while baking.
Sausage Roll Mummies Ready Dress up
The one thing missing from my mummies is the eyes. I know, right! I found them just too fiddly to make and then it was going to be a more complicated recipe and I wanted to keep it simple. However, you can buy edible googly eyes, so do that to keep life simple.
I decorated mine by using plastic spiders to make the mummies look a little more spooky. You could always go down the black olive route. See my post about the Halloween Guacamole to see how to do that.
How To Serve These Halloween Inspired Sausage Rolls
At your next Halloween party of course! But if you’re not planning a party, these are also great to pack in kids’ lunchboxes or to have as after school snack at home. Why not serve them with dinner on Halloween or through week leading up to Halloween. Kids like to get into the spirit of the season and not just on Halloween day!
Make The Sausage Rolls Ahead of time And Bake Just before Serving
Make ahead appetizers are a must for parties. The last thing anyone wants to be doing is preparing food last minute when you are looking after little ones or entertaining your adult friends. So, make ahead and enjoy!
- Make ahead sausage rolls to bake later – prepare these mummy sausage rolls, cover and refrigerate until baking time. Then bake according to the recipe below.
- Make ahead sausage rolls for the freezer – Make the recipe up to the stage just before brushing the egg wash and baking. Place in an airtight container and freezer for up to a month. Remove from freezer and allow to defrost. Bake according to the recipe in the recipe card.
- Make ahead sausage rolls to bake and serve later – these can be baked hours before serving and then just served at room temperature
If you’re on the hunt for more great Halloween Inspired recipes, I found a few collections on line that I will list below for you.
- Vegan & Gluten Free Halloween Recipes – by Eating by Elaine
- 50 + Healthy & Festive Halloween Ideas – by Super Healthy Kids
- 20 + Fun Halloween Recipes – by Wishes n Dishes
- Eight Tempting Halloween Snack Mix Recipes – by A Southern Soul
- 20 Spooktacular Halloween Treats – by Living mi Vida Loca
Get The Recipe!
Halloween Mummy Sausage Rolls
- 12 sausages the thin kind
- 1 puff pastry sheet 30 cm x 15 cm (approximate size)
- 1 Egg beaten, for brushing the pastry
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cut the pastry in thin strips, mine were about 1/4 of an inch. Roll the strips of pastry around the sausage. Continue to repeat these steps until you have rolled up all of your sausages.
- Arrange the sausage rolls on the baking tray. Now with a pastry brush, brush the egg over the pastry to cover it.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 15 – 18 minutes or until golden and the pastry has puffed up. Remove from oven and transfer to a serving plate. These are delicious hot or cold.
*A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.