Tender pieces of shrimp with a creamy cilantro topping and wrapped up in a crisp taco shell. These Shrimp Tacos with a Cilantro Lime Topping are a must make!
I wasn’t planning to write this recipe today, but you got to make these tacos today! They are seriously that good! I had to stop myself and back away from the kitchen. So, if you do make one thing this week, make these. So simple, not too many ingredients. Although the list looks lengthy now that I think about it. In any case, quick and just so delicious. I keep saying that because that’s how strongly I feel..ha!
A Few Notes About The Tacos
- I like the taco itself to have a bit of a crunch. The best way to do this with soft tacos is to lay them out on a hot skillet for just a minute or so each side. You don’t want to leave them on too long, or they will just crack and fall apart. Use a dry skillet (no oil), and lay them out not touch each other or overlap. Once you see them starting to slightly brown in spots, turn them over for another minute. Result will be a soft shell with a bit of a crunch.
- I prefer wheat flour wraps, but you can just as easily use corn wraps if those are the ones you have or like best. As well, you could always use sour cream in place of Greek yogurt. It works just as easily. I gave up on sour cream years and years ago as you cannot buy it here. You can make a “version” of by adding lemon juice to cream, whisk and refrigerate. Not quite the same but works for me and I take what I can get.
- I always stress to use raw unpeeled shrimp as the flavour and even texture is far superior to the pre peeled ones.
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Shrimp Tacos with a Cilantro Lime Topping
For the shrimp:
- 1 lb shrimp raw, peeled, cleaned and tails removed
- Juice of one lime
- 1 Small dried chili finely chopped
- 1 Clove garlic crushed
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon cumin
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
For the Cilantro Lime Topping:
- 1/2 Cup Greek yogurt
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lime
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 Spring onions finely chopped (almost minced)
- Small handful fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 8 taco shells soft or hard
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tomatoes diced
- 2 Avocados diced
- Make the shrimp marinade by adding the lime juice, dried chili, garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt to a medium bowl. Stir well to combine flavours. Add the shrimp, coat well and refrigerate.
- Make the cilantro lime topping by combining the Greek yogurt, juice and zest of the lime, garlic, spring onions, cilantro and salt together. Stir well and set aside.
- Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet set over high heat. Add the shrimp and cook over a high heat, stirring regularly for about 7 minutes or until cooked throughout. Remove from heat.
- In another large skillet, preferably cast iron, set over high heat, add as many taco wraps as you can without having them overlap. Heat them for about a minute one each side. Remove from heat and fill will shrimp, tomatoes, avocados and the cilantro lime topping. You can pre make them all or set ingredients out on a table for everyone to help themselves.
Leave a Reply