These Smoked Salmon Basil Rolls are easy to put together and delish! A great make ahead appetizer for your next get together or just for weekend nibbles. Using smoked salmon and a quick cream cheese filling, they are put together in minutes!
If you’re new to using smoked salmon, it’s so easy to work with, versatile and tasty. Yes, it can be a bit on the pricy side, depending on the brand and quality. But every once in a while, it’s it great to splurge.
This would be a wonderful food to add to an Easter brunch this year. And if you’re looking for more smoked salmon ideas, check out the Smoked Salmon and Shrimp Salad in a Lime Vinaigrette, or my Seafood Salad with Dill, delish!
What Are These Smoked Salmon Rolls Like
- Difficulty – These rolls are very easy to make and there is no cooking required.
- Taste – The smoked salmon has a pretty strong flavour with goes well with the soft cream cheese, herbs fresh lemon.
- Serving – This recipe easily serves four people as a small appetizer or nibble food.
- Smoked salmon – I used a pack of thin sliced smoked salmon.
- Cream cheese – I used Philadelphia cream cheese to make the filling.
- Heavy cream – Just a few tablespoons were used to thin the cream cheese filling.
- Herbs – I used fresh chopped basil
- Lemon – A mix of lemon juice and lemon zest were used to add to the cream cheese mixture.
- Seasonings – I just used salt and black pepper.
- Garnish and serving – I used a mix of lettuce leaves to lay the salmon rolls on. And then I garnished it with lemon wedges.
REMEMBER, you will always find the full recipes and instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Make cream cheese filling – In a small bowl combine the cream cheese, heavy cream, fresh chopped basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Prepare rolls – Lay out the smoked salmon on a cutting board. Place a small amount of the filling on each slice and spread out until the surface is evenly covered. Now roll them up lengthways. Repeat for each slice.
- Cut rolls – Using a small sharp knife, cut each salmon roll into two or three pieces.
- Arrange and serve – On a wooden board or serving platter, arrange lettuce leaves. Place the salmon rolls on top and add fresh cracked black pepper. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Make ahead filling – You can prepare the cream cheese filling the day before serving. Cover and keep in the fridge until using.
- Prep ahead the rolls – You can make these rolls up to about six hours before serving. I don’t recommend placing them on the lettuce leaves until just before serving to avoid wilting.
- Use a sharp knife – Smoked salmon is delicate, so you’ll need very sharp serrated knife to cut the rolls. This way they will stay together and in shape after you cut them.
- Cream cheese – You can use any kind of soft spreadable cheese for this recipe. Mascarpone would work really well.
- Fresh basil – You can also use fresh dill, tarragon or chives.
- At a brunch – These would go great on a brunch table at Easter or Mother’s Day.
- With other appetizers – if you’re planning a little get together, these little bites would go great alongside so many other nibbles. Why not serve it alongside the Cucumber & Mascarpone Cheese Sandwiches and the Leek & Bacon Mini Quiche.
- Serve them as a starter – If you’re planning an Easter dinner, these would make a great starter.
- Nibbles with drinks – Serve them on a big tray with a glass of bubbly to your friends.
Frequently Asked Questions
Smoked salmon is fully cooked and is usually served cold with bread, cheese, herbs and spreads.
Smoked salmon is great in many appetizers and you can serve it on crackers, crisp bread and even soft bread with cream cheese. It also works really well in cold leafy green salads.
Smoked Salmon & Herb Mascarpone Crostini
Smoked Salmon Vol au Vents
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Canapes
Smoked Salmon and Basil Rolls
- 6 ounces smoked salmon approximately 4 slices
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon Fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- lettuce leaves for serving
- lemon wedges for serving
- In a small bowl combine the cream cheese, heavy cream, fresh chopped basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Lay out the smoked salmon on a cutting board. Place a small amount of the filling on each slice and spread out until the surface is evenly covered. Now roll them up lengthways. Repeat for each slice.
- Using a small sharp knife, cut each salmon roll into two or three pieces.
- On a wooden board or serving platter, arrange lettuce leaves. Place the salmon rolls on top and add fresh cracked black pepper. Serve with lemon wedges.
*A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.