Why not dive into a comforting bowl of this Yellow Lentil & Shrimp Coconut Creamed Curry. Packed full of rich and creamy flavours.
Finally I have a new dinner to share. It has only taken just about forever as I as I am pretty sure it is the first of 2017. I got some catching up to do! In any case, a little inspiration hit and this very warming, hearty and somewhat exotic curry appeared on the dinner table. I have made lentil curries in the past, or Dal as they are properly named, but this one was by far the best out of my kitchen. I loved the coconut flavour with hint of spice and a little zest from the lime. Overall, great week night dinner.
First of all, I am happy January is over. Done, dusted and not to be seen until next year. I don’t normally wish away time, but January really was blah. This year, it has been a cold one and I have spent a great part of it sick. So goodbye January.
This dinner all started because I had this bag of yellow lentils in the cupboard for so long now. Every week I look at them and think I am going to make something with them. Growing up they were always used in split pea soup and peas pudding with Sunday dinner. Those are really my only experiences with them. So, although I cook pulses often and really enjoy them, this was a first for yellow lentil in my house.
The verdict was there were no leftovers. This should have served four people really, but in our house it only served the two of us. Much like my Easy Teriyaki Shrimp and Rice, this was delish! The two non picky eaters. We served it with Basmati rice, but honestly it isn’t necessary as the lentils are quite filling.
Honest to goodness good food and great for any evening in the very positive February.
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
Yellow Lentil & Shrimp Coconut Creamed Curry
For the lentils:
- 1 Cup yellow lentils uncooked
- 1 medium onion diced small
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Inch ginger root peeled and grated
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon hot curry powder
- 1 Teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 Teaspoon garam masala
- 1 Small dried chili finely chopped
- 4 Cups Vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- Juice of one lime
- Fresh coriander to serve
For the shrimp:
- 20 large shrimp peeled & de veined
- 1 clove Garlic clove crushed
- 1/2 Inch ginger root grated
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Sea salt
- Fore the lentils. In a large deep sided skillet add the vegetable oil and onions. Cook over a medium high heat, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, ground coriander, garam masala and chilli. Stir really well and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add the lentils and stir to completely coat with all the spices. Cook for about a minute and add all of the stock and the coconut milk. Stir well, reduce heat to low and cover. Leave to cook for approximately 40 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Stir occasionally while cooking.
- For the shrimp. In a medium skillet set over high heat, add the vegetable oil, garlic and ginger. Stir for just a minute and add the the shrimp. Toss the shrimp in the pan to ensure even cooking. Cook until shrimp are completely cooked about 5 minutes. Season with salt and remove from heat.
- Add the cooked shrimp to the lentils. Stir well, squeeze over lime juice and top with fresh coriander. Serve over rice if desired.
Leave a Reply