These have been my go to Fudgy Chocolate Brownies for decades. They are made with only seven basic ingredients, are easy to make, have a wonderful flavour and are super fudge. If you’re looking for a great brownie recipe, add these to you baking list!
Originally published on June 8th, 2015. Updated to include new photos with step-by-step photos, video, recipe tips, and frequently asked questions.
Do you ever bake brownies and are disappointed because they come out dry and crumbly? I’ve been there many times and it really is disappointing. These brownies are anything but dry or crumbly. Much like my Chocolate Pecan Brownies, these brownies are dense, moist and super fudgy. Follow the recipe to the tee and you’ll have perfect brownies too!
- Chocolate – I used semi sweet dark chocolate in this recipe.
- Flour – all purpose flour works best for these brownies.
- Sugar – Granulated white sugar is best in this recipe.
- Eggs and dairy – This recipe calls for whole eggs and butter.
- Other ingredients – vanilla extract and salt.
REMEMBER, The full recipe and instructions can be found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
- Preheat oven and prepare pan – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate – In a saucepan set over low heat, add the butter and chopped chocolate. Stir until melted and remove from heat to cool.
- Combine dry ingredients – Sift flour together with the salt and set aside.
- Mix sugar, eggs and vanilla – Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl add eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix well until incorporated and smooth. Probably only a couple of minutes. Remember do not over mix! If you mix it too long, you will end up with more of a cake texture.
- Finish the batter – Next, add the chocolate mixture and stir until incorporated. Add flour all at once and gently stir in with a wooden spoon until just incorporated.
- Pour into pan and bake – Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for around 15 – 20 minutes. Check a few minutes before the baking time is up and insert a toothpick. A few moist crumbs should come out on the stick. Leave them in the pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Cut and store or serve – Remove brownies on the parchment paper. Place on a cutting board and cut into 16 equal squares. Store in and airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Don’t over mix batter. Like don’t! Over mixing will result in cake like and possible dry brownies
- Make sure you measure the ingredients correctly. If you add just a little too much flour, the brownies will be more cake like than chewy.
- And last but not least, don’t over bake them. Remember, all ovens are different and yours could take a little shorter or a little longer time than mine. They are done when you insert a toothpick in the center and it comes out with moist crumbs.
Frequently Asked Questions
These brownies take between 30 – 35 minutes to bake. You will know they are done when the top is shiny and starting to crack. As well, they will start to pull away from the edge of the pan. You can insert a toothpick into the center of the brownies to test them. The toothpick should have a few moist crumbs.
Fudgy brownies have a higher fat content. In this case, the recipe is high in butter and chocolate compared to flour. If you want to make a cakey brownie, you would need to add more flour.
Brownies can be either chewy, fudgy or cakey. Chewy brownies are compact and they have a chewy bite to them. Fudgy brownies are dense, gooey and moist. And cakey brownies are a similar texture to cake.
Get the recipe!
Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate roughly chopped
- 2/3 Cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 Cup butter unsalted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line with parchment paper an 8 x 8 inch baking pan
- In a saucepan set over low heat, add the butter and chopped chocolate. Stir until melted and remove from heat to cool.
- Sift flour together with the salt and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl add eggs, sugar and vanilla. Using a hand whisk, whisk until just combined, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the melted chocolate and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in the flour until incorporated, about one minute.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for around 35 – 30 minutes. The top will be shiny and slightly cracked. Insert a toothpick into the center and check for moist crumbs.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in pan.
- When cooled, lift out the brownies on the parchment paper. Place on a cutting board and cut into 16 equal squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5 days.
*A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.