Homemade Mild Taco Seasoning takes just minutes to put together and can be used on chicken, fish, meat, vegetables and everything in between. It uses ingredients that you will already have in your pantry and there’s no chili powder needed for this recipe!
Do you ever make your own seasonings? I never use to but over the years I’ve gotten into the habit. Not only can you control the flavour, you really do save money. While the package seasonings are really tasty and convenient, they do cost more.
With this homemade taco seasoning, you can make as much as you want and store it in a jar to have on hand. I use this for my Spiced Turkey Tacos, Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos, Taquitos and so much more.
Here’s What We Need To Make The Taco Seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chili flakes – This is a mild taco blend so I didn’t go heavy on chili flakes
- Brown Sugar – I just added a little sugar to balance out the flavours
REMEMBER, The full recipe with instructions is always found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
How To Choose The Best Spices For The Taco Seasoning
Did you know that spices really do expire? When I say they expire, they lose their flavour over time. So, for best results, use spices that are less than a year old to make this blend.
I didn’t use chili powder in my recipe, but if you feel you’d like to add it, please add your own flare. Chili powder is a blend of spices in it’s own right, so I felt this seasoning mix didn’t lack any flavour by omitting it from the recipe.
How Do You Best Use This Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning
This is such a versatile seasoning and you can use it on so much more than tacos!
- Vegetables- This seasoning would be a great addition to some baby roasted potatoes, sauteed peppers, beans or even carrots and cauliflower. The options are endless.
- Rice Dishes – Again, why not use it in some fried or steamed rice to add a bit of a kick. And you can’t go wrong with Mexican Rice.
- Chicken – This goes great on grilled chicken and with ground turkey, and of course it’s fantastic in my Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos or the Slow Cooked Shredded Chicken Tacos.
- Beef & Pork – Why not give it a try with the Pork Tacos with Sriracha Mayo or the Beef Carnitas. And it’s great added to any ground beef dish as well.
If you love Mexican & Tex Mex dishes, make a batch of this taco seasoning and have it on hand. It will be great for all your upcoming taco nights. Over time, you’ll learn the flavours you love best and then you can adjust accordingly. I like to keep it simple just as you see here, but there are times when I want a bit more heat and add some dried chilies or cayenne pepper.
Enjoy the taco seasoning mix and keep on cooking.
Here’s Some More Recipes That You might Like
Get The Recipe!
Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Store in an airtight container up to a year in a cool dry place.