This Mexican Style Rice would look great on your dinner table any night of the week. Using wild rice, onions, green peppers, fresh tomatoes, corn and kick of spice, it’s fully loaded with flavour that delivers. Keep it in mind for your next Taco Tuesday!
I’m throwing another easy recipe your way today. Because we all love easy recipes, right? If you’ve been a long time follower, you will know my deep love for all things easy while using fresh ingredients to keep it as real as possible!
And, you can never go wrong with a side of rice. Everyone loves it at our house, it’s easy to make and so versatile. Dishes like Turkey Fried Rice and Fall Harvest Wild Rice are sides I make often and they are always well received. And don’t even get me started on Risotto! A whole other level of rice love.
So, for today’s easy recipe I’m bringing you this delicious Mexican Style Rice. Fun fact, I’ve been making this recipe for a whole bunch of years and am only just getting it out to you now. It’s tired, tested and a really great recipe. Not only is it easy to make, it’s versatile as you will see as you read along the way.
Let’s Start With The Star Ingredients
- wild rice
- vegetable stock
- Red onion
- Green pepper
- Garlic crushed
- olive oil
- chili flakes
- black pepper
- fresh coriander/cilantro
- Lime juice
- Spring onions
REMEMBER, the full recipe with instructions is always found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
Get Everything Chopped And Ready
- Chop and dice all your fresh ingredients before you start
COOKING TIP. Always read the FULL RECIPE to the end before starting. It’s a really good idea to have everything prepped and ready before you start cooking.
Time To Get Cooking
- Preheat a medium deep sided skillet
- Add olive oil, garlic and all the spices and stir well.
- After the vegetables have softened, add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes or so.
- Add the rice and stir well to completely mix in with the vegetables.
- Add stock and corn.
- Give a quick stir, reduce heat to medium low and cover.
- Leave to cook for 15 minutes or until stock has absorbed and rice is cooked.
COOKING TIP, do not stir this rice as it cooks. Stirring will release starch and the rice will become creamy and sticky. You are looking for a more crisp end result.
Fresh Off The Stove Top
When you take the lid off the rice it should look like this. Here’s what you do next.
- Fluff the rice with a fork
- Sprinkle over spring onions
- Squeeze over lime juice
Now you’re ready to get that fork and dig in!
WHAT IF MY RICE IS STILL HARD AT THIS STAGE? Okay, hopefully it won’t be. But if your rice isn’t fully cooked at this stage, add about an extra 1/3 cup/80 ml of stock, cover and return to the heat.
Mexican Style Rice Ready to Enjoy
That’s it friends, you can now sit and enjoy. Now, get your forks ready because you’re gonna’ want to dive in quick.
Can I make Any Substitutions Along The Way
Yes, the great thing about this dish, is you can use what you have no problem.
Here’s Some Useful Substitutions For this Recipe
- Any kind of long grain rice can be substituted for wild rice
- White onions can be used in place of red
- You can use any kind of peppers you prefer
- If you don’t have corn, you can skip it all together
- Fresh lemon juice can be used in place of lime juice
- Parsley can be used in place of cilantro/coriander
Can I make This in Advance To serve Later
YES!! That’s one of the great things about this dish, you can make it in advance. And don’t we all love that just a little bit. I’ve even taken this to potlucks over the years and it’s been devoured at room temperature no problem.
If you want to reheat it, just put it back in the skillet and turn the heat to low. Then, let it slowly reheat while stirring occasionally.
Here’s a Few Other Dishes That You Might Like To Try
Well friends that’s about it for the easy rice dish. If you get a chance to make it, let me know what you think!
Happy cooking and I’ll see you all really soon.
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
- 1 Cup wild rice
- 2 1/2 Cups vegetable stock
- 1 Red onion finely diced
- 1 Green pepper diced
- 2 Tomatoes diced
- 1/2 Cup corn
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Small bunch of fresh chopped coriander
- Juice of one lime
- 3 Spring onions finely chopped
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the olive oil, garlic and spice. Stir well until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the red onions and peppers. Stir well and cook for about 5 minutes until slightly soft.
- Add the tomatoes and stir well. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to the side of the pan and add the rice. Give a really good stir to incorporate the rice completely into the vegetables.
- Add the stock and corn, salt and pepper. Stir, cover and leave to fully cook for about 15 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed and the rice is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat. Fluff with a fork, sprinkle over spring onions and squeeze over lime juice. Serve hot.
- IMPORTANT, do no stir the rice while it’s cooking. Stirring will release starch into the water and you will have a more sticky rice in the end.
- If the stock you are using is high in salt, you can omit the salt in the recipe.