Spice up your next burger by making this Mexican Style Crispy Chicken Burger! Fried breaded chicken cutlets on top of a soft bun topped with homemade salsa and fresh guacamole. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo parties or an alternative to your Taco Tuesday.
Lets enjoy the simpleness of burgers with a tangy Mexican twist. These burgers are made with a crsipy chicken topped with spicy salsa and fresh avocado. A great change to the regular burger.
Note: In the recipe below I state to use Spicy Salsa from the site. You can easily just make your own that you like. I wouldn’t recommend using store bought kind of this topping. It will leave the burger soggy and will lack that fresh flavour that this burger is all about.
How to Serve The Burgers
These burgers would make for a great casual dinner get together with friends. Serve them along your favourite Mexican side dishes and you are all set. A favourite from this site would have to be the Mexican Rice Bowls.
In the note above I mentioned not using store bought salsa. It really wouldn’t do the burger justice, and a lot of the flavour comes from the salsa. So, try not to skip on that part. It is just chopped tomatoes, onions, and a few other things really. Worth the effort. So, follow the link to the Spicy Salsa!
Oh, you can also make your Homemade Hamburger Buns if you’re really feeling adventitious!
Here’s Some Other Great Recipes You’ll Love
Mexican Style Crispy Chicken Burger
For the chicken:
- 1/2 lb chicken cutlets thin cut
- 1 egg
- 3/4 Cup milk
- 1 Cup bread crumbs panko
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1 Dried chili finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup Spicy Salsa
- 1 Avocado cut into slices
- 6 Hamburger buns
- On a large plate, combine the bread crumbs with the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, chilli, salt and pepper. Use your fingers to combine the seasoning into the bread crumb mixture. Have ready two bowls, and put the milk into one and whisk the egg in the other one. Pat dry your chicken and then dip each piece into the milk, egg and them coat with bread crumbs. Repeat for all chicken pieces and place on a clean plate.
- In a large, heavy bottomed skillet, heat about 1 inch of olive oil over medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Put the chicken pieces in the hot oil and cook on each side for about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat for remaining chicken.
- Serve on a bread roll topped with the salsa and avocado.
*A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.