This Lemon Ricotta Bruschetta is a wonderful blend of crisp bread topped with soft ricotta cheese, zesty lemon and a twist of fresh mint! A wonderful summer appetizer that you can whip up in no time at all!
Easy appetizers are great for any occasion. And I have to admit, Bruschetta is one of my favourite quick appetizers to make. You just can’t beat the Fresh Tomato Bruschetta as a start to pretty much any Main Dish or as part of a big ol’ Appetizer buffet.
Don’t miss More Than 10 Great Bruschetta Recipes!
What is This Bruschetta Recipe Like
- Difficulty – Really easy! Toasting the bread is the only cooking you have to do and making the ricotta mixture only takes a few minutes!
- Taste – This bruscehtta has a subtle flavour of lemon and mint. It’s isn’t overpowering at all and is a great summer appetizer. Feel free to up the lemon or the mint to suit your tastebuds!
- Serving – This recipe makes 10 slices of bruchetta which would serve 5 people as an appetizer. This was approximately 1/2 of a baguette. Feel free to double the recipe to feed more. You can easily adjust serving size in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Baguette bread – I used half of a regular sized baguette for this bruschetta recipe.
- Olive oil – Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle over the bread.
- Cheese – Ricotta cheese.
- Garlic – A fresh garlic clove minced.
- Salt – Just a small amount of regular table salt.
- Lemon – Lemon juice and zest is added to the ricotta topping.
- Mint – Fresh mint really adds a punch of flavour to this topping.
NOTE, The full recipe and ingredient list can be found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
- Toast the bread – Preheat oven to 350 f/180 c. Place all the baguette slices on a baking tray and drizzle over the olive oil. Bake for about 5 – 8 minutes or until lightly crisp. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Make ricotta topping – In a medium sized bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, garlic, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest and fresh mint. Stir well to combine.
- Top bread and serve – Spoon the ricotta mixture over the cooled baguette slices. Garnish with extra lemon zest and mint if desired. Serve immediately.
- Prep ahead – You can make the ricotta topping up to the day before. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Crisping the bread – Make sure the bread is really crisp when making bruschetta. This is help prevent it from going soggy after you top it will all the toppings.
- Garnish – I find it’s a nice touch to top the bruschetta with a little garnish of fresh mint and extra lemon zest.
Substitutions and Flavour Changes
- Baguette bread – If you don’t have baguette bread, you can use any rustic style bread. Avoid using any kind sandwich or sliced prepacked bread.
- Ricotta Cheese – Although this recipe uses Ricotta cheese, you could opt for using Mascarpone cheese, Cottage cheese or even cream cheese.
- Fresh mint – If you find fresh mint too strong, feel free to use on of your favourite fresh herbs like fresh basil.
- Use as a spread or dip – If you don’t fancy adding this Ricotta topping to bread, you could add it to a Charcuterire Board as a dip or spread for other nibbles.
What To Serve With This Bruschetta
This Lemon Ricotta Bruschetta would be a wonderful starter to just about any Pasta dinner or a wonderful Portobello Mushroom and Spinach Risotto. Why not make it a part of a bigger appetizer board and serve it alongside the Italian Stuffed Mushrooms, the Caprese Salad Sticks and the Oven Roasted Italian Green Peppers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ricotta is an Italian soft milk whey cheese. It’s commonly used in lasagna, casseroles and stuffed pasta dishes.
Make sure your crisp the bread until it has a crunch and don’t top the bread until just before serving. Avoid overly wet toppings or it will make the bread soggy.
Ricotta & Tomato Toast Recipe
Smoked Salmon & Herb Mascarpone Crostini
Fresh Tomato Bruschetta
- 1/2 baguette cut into 10 slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- Preheat oven to 350 f/180 c. Place all the baguette slices on a baking tray and drizzle over the olive oil. Bake for about 5 – 8 minutes or until lightly crisp. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, garlic, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest and fresh mint. Stir well to combine.
- Spoon the ricotta mixture over the cooled baguette slices. Garnish with extra lemon zest and mint if desired. Serve immediately.
*A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.