Keeping things super simple and delicious with this Ricotta & Tomato Toast Recipe. Lightly toasted bread topped with creamy ricotta cheese, heirloom cherry tomatoes, sea salt and fresh arugula leaves. Perfect for summer brunching.
Here’s the toast you need to be making this weekend! Yes, friends, this Ricotta & Tomato Toast is where it’s at right now. Easy to make and just downright delicious! I’ve eaten it three days in a row this week. Yes, you heard that right. I just couldn’t get enough. Probably because of my love for Ricotta cheese. And paired with these sweet baby tomatoes and peppery arugula leaves on top, it’s just a genius combination. Did I just call myself a genius…haha.
Ingredients to Make the Ricotta & Tomato Toast
- Sliced bread, your choice but try to use something with a bit of weight. I recommend integral bread with seeds.
- Ricotta cheese
- Cherry or Pear tomatoes
- Arugula leaves
- Sea salt
REMEMBER, the full recipe and instructions is found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
Toasting the Bread
Friends, I don’t think I need to tell you how to make toast….hahaha. But here’s a picture of some lightly toasted bread for your amusement anyway. Just a FYI, you don’t have to toast the bread for this recipe. I’ve eaten this for lunch THREE times this week, yes three. Twice I toasted the bread and once I didn’t. Equally good both ways, so you choose.
Which Type Of Tomatoes Work Best For This Recipe
Whichever type of tomatoes you choose to use for this recipe, it will still be great. I used small sweet tomatoes and they worked wonderful. Just remember to slice them up like shown below.
- Cherry or grape tomatoes, these are quite common in most supermarkets especially in the summer months. They go well for this recipe.
- Heirloom tomatoes, which will be bigger but will also work great. These are in season right now. They will cost more than regular tomatoes but give a lot of flavour.
- Baby Kumato tomatoes, these are the ones pictured here that I used and do they ever bring the flavour. If you have baby Kumato tomatoes in your supermarket or market, get them. Yes, they cost more but they are delish!
How much Ricotta Cheese Should I use For This Toast Recipe
Answer, as much as you want. Okay, I used about 2 tablespoons per slice of bread. You can use as much as you like.
IMPORTANT, If toasting your bread, let it cool for a minute before adding the Ricotta cheese, otherwise the cheese will start to melt. Also, serve it straight away!
Top The Toast With Tomatoes
Just evenly place the tomatoes on top of the toast all over. Make sure to cover the entire surface to get the best bite possible!
Finish off The Ricotta & Tomato Toast and enjoy
Sprinkle over some sea salt, add arugula leaves and enjoy! Friends, this is super quick, simple and delicious. I can’t get enough right now. Tomatoes are in full summer season and I’m having them pretty much every single day. Good eats like this toast, the Caprice Salad Bites, the Roasted Tomato & Feta Brushetta and my Spinach & Herb Stuffed Tomatoes are what summer is all about.
Can These Be Made in Advance
A great big no. As much of a fan I am of having food ready to go, this isn’t one of those dishes. You need to make this toast fresh just before serving. The bread will go soggy if you try to make them before hand to serve later. Remember, they only take a few minutes to put together anyway.
How to Enjoy The Ricotta & Tomato Toast
- Breakfast & Brunch, This would go great with a weekend brunch. Serve some Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon on the side and you’re all set.
- Lunch, Serve it with pasta dish like the Pasta Pomodoro or even a Roasted Tomato Soup.
- Dinner time, yes you can even serve it at dinner. It would go really nice alongside the Easy Garlic Mushroom Spaghetti or even with the Skillet Chicken with a Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce.
- Appetizers, this is great served just as it is for an appetizer any time of day.
However you choose to serve this toast, it needs to be a summer staple! You’re gonna’ love it. So head out and get your stuff today so you can enjoy it for tomorrow. You’ll be happy you did, promise.
And if you’re on the hunt for a great summer recipe, check out my new Homemade Peach Cobbler recipe!
Check back next week for some more great eats coming your way. I’m really enjoying simple recipes like this and my Pesto Puff Pastry Pinwheels right now. Enjoy the weekend and I’ll see you all soon. Until next time, keep on cooking!
Here’s Some More Recipes You’ll Love
Get The Recipe!
Ricotta & Tomato Toast Recipe
- 4 slices bread I used whole wheat with seeds
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut into slices
- 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp sea salt season to your taste
- arugula leaves
- Slice up the tomatoes and set aside.
- Toast bread to desired doneness. Top bread with a few tablespoons of Ricotta cheese and evenly spread out. Add tomatoes, sprinkle with sea salt and top with arugula leaves.
- Serve immediately.
- Allow toast to cool for a minute before topping with Ricotta cheese. Otherwise the cheese will start to melt.