Make this delightful Mixed Berry and Apple Crisp as an easy yet decadent dessert. Served with cold vanilla ice cream makes it the perfect summer treat!
Looking for a perfect easy to make summer dessert? Well, this Mixed Berry and Apple Crisp needs to go on your dessert table soon. A warm layer of berries mixed with apples topped with a crisp layer of oats mixed with butter sugar and flour. The perfect combination!
What Is This Crisp Like
- Difficulty – This is such an easy dessert that requires pretty much no skill level. It is easy to prepare and you can’t really mess it up while baking either! It can be made in advance and baked just before serving.
- Taste – The apples and berries are soft and produce a generous amount of juice so the dessert isn’t dry at all. The topping is sweet and crisp. A delicious summer dessert.
- Serving – This crisp will make six generous servings and it could even be stretched to eight servings with ice cream on the side!
- Apples – I used large golden delicious apples for this crisp.
- Mixed berries – This recipe used a mix bag of frozen berries.
- Crisp mixture – The crisp mixture is made by combining all purpose flour, oats, granulated white sugar, unsalted butter and a pinch of salt.
NOTE, The full recipe and instructions can be found at the end of the post in the recipe card
- Preheat oven – Preheat oven to 350 degrees f/180 degrees c. Grease a deep sided 8 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Make crumble mixture – In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar and salt . Stir to combine the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter. Using your hands, incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients until you have a coarse like consistency. Much like big bread crumbs.
- Assemble crumble – In a greased 8 inch baking dish, toss in your fruit. Evenly spoon the crumbly mixture over the top, making sure to cover it completely.
- Bake – Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 40-50 minutes. The fruit should be soft and the top golden and crisp.
- Bake and serve – Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Best apples to use for this crisp – You can use many varieties, I used Honey crisp. Other apples that will work are Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious or even Granny Smith. Keep in mind apples cook at different times. So depending on which apples you chose for your recipe, the cooking time may vary a little.
- Cut the apples evenly – To ensure even cooking, make sure you cut your apples pretty much the same size. And don’t slice them too thin or the crumble will end up being mushy.
- Don’t over mix the crumble mixture – The idea is to have a crumbly topping. If you over mix, you will end up with a pastry like consistency.
- Prepare in advance – You can put this together early in the day and bake later in the evening. Just keep the crisp covered in the fridge until baking time.
- How to store leftover crisp – Cover it completely and store it in the fridge up to 5 days.
- How to reheat leftover apple and mixed berry crisp – reheat it in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.
- Apples – Feel free to use pears, plums or peaches can easily be used in this dessert.
- Berries – I used mixed frozen berries. You can use a mix of fresh berries or even just strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or blackberries.
- Add nuts – You can choose to add pecans, almonds or walnuts the topping for extra flavour and texture.
What to Serve With This Crisp
This Mixed Berry and Apple Crisp is great served with fresh whipped ream, vanilla ice cream or even Greek yogurt. And if you want to really fancy it up a bit, add my Homemade Caramel Sauce for a show stopping stove top dessert.
Frequently Asked Questions
An apple crumble has a crumbly topping consisting of just flour, sugar an butter. Whereas a crisp has a topping of flour, oats, sugar and butter. As well, sometimes people add nuts into a crisp topping.
You can prepare the crisp mixture up to three days before hand. Just keep it in a sealed container in the fridge until using. Apples have to be prepared the day of use.
Stove Top Apple Crumble
Apple & Strawberry Crumble
Mini Apple & Cinnamon Crumble
Mixed Berry and Apple Crisp
- 6 large apples cored and cut into thick slices (I used golden delicious)
- 1 cup mixed berries I used frozen berries
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 1 Cup oats
- 1/2 Cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 Cup butter unsalted
- Pinch salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar and salt . Stir to combine the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter. Using your hands, incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients until you have a coarse like consistency. Much like big bread crumbs.
- In a greased 8 inch baking dish, toss in your fruit. Evenly spoon the crumbly mixture over the top, making sure to cover it completely.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 40-50 minutes. The fruit should be soft and the top golden and crisp.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
*A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.