This Potato & Spinach Gratin is made using thinly sliced potatoes, layers of fresh spinach and topped with a cream sauce. Perfect for chilly days with the Slow Cooker Lemon Rosemary Chicken. A great comfort food that can be served as a side dish or even a main course.
What is a Gratin Exactly
I think we all might have different explanations of what we deem a Gratin to be classified as. But technically is a Gratin is any baked dish in the oven that’s topped with cheese and often bread crumbs as well.
This Potato & Spinach Gratin classifies perfectly as a gratin as it’s baked in the oven and has a middle layer Gouda cheese as well as being topped with cheese. Another classic example of a gratin would be my Cod au Gratin. Have you had the chance to check out that recipe yet?
In any case, whether you call this a Gratin dish, a hot pot or a casserole, we call all deem it delicious! This is the time of year, when comfort foods hit big. And make ahead dishes like this Gratin, Scalloped Potatoes, Chicken & Spinach Lasagna, and the Broccoli & Cheddar Casserole are all are all welcomed this time of year.
Here’s What We Need To Make The Potato & Spinach Gratin
- Potatoes peeled and cut into very thin slices
- Onion thinly sliced
- Fresh spinach
- Cup cream
- Gouda cheese grated
- Garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Butter to grease baking dish
REMEMBER, The full recipe and instructions can be found at the end of the pot in the recipe card.
How To Make The Potato & Spinach Gratin
- Thinly slice the potatoes – peel, wash and thinly slice the potatoes. Make sure to slice them really thin like shown here. This will ensure even cooking.
- Slice and cook onions – Thinly slice the onions. Cook the onions in garlic and olive oil over medium heat for about 5 – 8 minutes or until golden and soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place Spinach in colander – and pour over boiling water. Squeeze out all excess water. (not shown here)
Make The Sauce
- Add cream to a saucepan – set the sauce pan over medium heat and bring the cream to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Add the seasonings to the cream – add the thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper to the cooked cream. Stir well.
Put The Dish Together
- Add sliced potatoes to the cream – tip the sliced potatoes into the cooked cream. Stir well to coat.
- Add half of the potatoes to your baking dish – Pour in half of the potato and cream mixture and make and even layer.
Add Cooked Onions & Spinach
- Layer onions – evenly spread out the onions over the potatoes
- Add spinach – evenly spread out the spinach over the onions.
Finish off The Gratin to Bake in the Oven
- Add cheese – evenly spread out about 2/3 of the Gouda cheese on top of the spinach layer
- Repeat potato layer – top with remaining half of the potatoes and 1/3 of the Gouda Cheese. Sprinkle over fresh chopped parsley.
- Cover and bake – loosely cover with foil and bake for around 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove from and take the foil off. Return to the oven for a further 10 to 15 minutes to brown the top.
Ready To Serve Potato & Spinach Gratin
Fresh out of the oven and ready to devour. For best results, let his dish sit rest for about 10 minutes before cutting into it. It will allow the potatoes to set properly.
What’s Great to serve with this Dish
The options are endless, but it would go great alongside the Roasted Spatchcock Chicken, the Slow Cooker Lemon & Rosemary Chicken or even the Lemon Crusted Baked Cod. All great options. And don’t forget your Fluffy White Dinner Rolls!
Notes About The Potato & Spinach Gratin
Make sure the potatoes are sliced very thin to ensure them cooking through. Nobody likes raw potatoes.
Squeeze all of the excess liquid out of the spinach. Otherwise, you will end up with an over liquidy dish. Not so nice. You should be on your way to a creamy and delicious Gratin.
Get the recipe!
Potato & Spinach Gratin
- 2 lb potatoes peeled and cut into very thin slices
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- 1 Cup cream
- 1 1/2 Cup Gouda cheese grated
- 2 clove Garlic crushed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon oregano
- 1 Teaspoon rosemary
- Small bunch of fresh chopped parsley
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Butter to grease baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a deep sided 8 inch round baking dish.
- Place the spinach in a colander set over a bowl. Pour over boiling water to wilt the spinach. Squeeze out as much excess water as you can and set aside.
- In a medium skillet set over medium heat, add the olive oil and sliced onions. Give a good stir and cook for about 10 minutes until softened and lightly golden. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over high heat, add the cream and bring to a boil and add the garlic, oregano, rosemary, fresh parsley (reserving a small amount for the top),salt and pepper. Stir and remove from heat.
- Add the potatoes to the cream mixture and coat well. Spoon about half of the potatoes into the baking dish. Top with the onions, spinach and bout 2/3 of the cheese. Top with remaining potatoes, cheese and parsley.
- Cover and bake for about 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and return to oven for 15 more minutes. Remove from oven and allow to set for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Make sure the potatoes are sliced very thin to ensure them cooking through. Nobody likes raw potatoes.
- Squeeze all of the excess liquid out of the spinach. Otherwise, you will end up with an over liquidy dish.