This Garlic Mushrooms Recipe is one you’re going to want to file in favourites for an easy dinner side dish. Fresh button mushrooms sauteed with lots of fresh thinly sliced garlic, olive oil and finished off with sea salt. A great side to make for barbecues, to go with a Steak Dinner or even to serve as a bigger part of a vegetarian meal.
What’s you go to dinner side dish? I got to say, I’m pretty much partial to just about anything when it comes to sides. Dishes like the Paprika Spiced Potato Wedges, Parmesan Topped Green Beans, Arancini made with Leftover Risotto and Beer Battered Onion Rings are always welcomed at out dinner table.
However, when it comes to mushrooms, they don’t feature often at our place because I’m the only one that loves them. Everyone else will have them chopped and added to other dishes but not so much on their own. They are missing out!
These Garlic Mushrooms are not only easy to make and using minimal ingredients, they are delicious. If you love mushrooms as much as I do, you need to give them a try. Earthy mushrooms, loaded with fresh sliced garlic in olive oil. Delicious!
Let’s take a look how easy they are to make and you can have them at your dinner table as well.
What We Need To Make These Garlic Mushrooms
The beauty of this dish, is that it uses such few ingredients. Here’s what we need.
- Fresh Button Mushrooms
- Garlic Cloves
- Olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Sea Salt
REMEMBER, The full recipe and instructions is always found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
What Kind of Mushrooms We’re Using For this Recipe
- I’m using fresh White Button Mushrooms in this recipe. Fresh mushrooms are important for this recipe, so don’t substitute the can mushrooms. However, you can use other varieties of mushrooms
Other Varieties of Mushrooms you can use for this recipe
- Crimini Musrhooms, there are often know as Brown Mushrooms are taste pretty identical to the white mushrooms. They are basically baby Portobello Mushrooms and are easily found in the produce section of supermarkets.
- Portobello Mushrooms, these are a much bigger mushroom, however you can use these in this recipe as well. They sometimes have the name of field mushroom or cap mushroom. If you do use these mushrooms in this recipe, cut them into quarters as they are much bigger.
How to Cook The Garlic For This Dish
- Thinly slice the garlic for this recipe. By slicing the garlic you get nice pieces of garlic in every bite. I prefer doing it this way for this dish. If you prefer, you can just as easily chop or crush the garlic. It’s all down to personal taste.
- Cook the garlic in olive oil. We first cook the garlic in the olive oil to develop flavour. The big flavour for dish comes from the garlic. To get the best flavour, cook the garlic for about 5 minutes before adding the mushrooms,
How To Prepare and cook The mushrooms
You can buy mushrooms already trimmed and cleaned or you and buy the kind that you have to clean yourself. Both kinds are identical and work just fine.
Preparing the Garlic Mushrooms Recipe
- Using Mushrooms that need cleaning, Just trim off the ends of the mushrooms and brush off any excess dirt. You do not need to rinse the mushrooms.
- Cooking already cleaned mushrooms, nothing to do here as they are ready to go.
Cooking The Mushrooms
- Add the cleaned mushrooms to the cooked garlic. Cook over a high heat for about 2 – 3 minutes until they start to brown. Reduce head and continue to cook for a further 8 minutes or so until they are completely golden and soft.
Garlic Mushrooms Ready To Enjoy
And friends it’s a simple and easy as that. You know have a great Garlic Mushrooms dish ready to enjoy. These are best served fresh off the stove. So, I really don’t recommend making them in advance and serving them later. Okay, they are not terrible reheated, but just better fresh cooked.
Other Ways To Enjoy The Garlic Mushrooms
As wonderful as these are all on their own as a side dish, they can make their way into other dishes and here’s how .
- Bruschetta, just chop up the Garlic Mushrooms and put them on top of crispy pieces of baguette bread. Check out my Tomato Bruschetta and swap out tomatoes for mushrooms!
- Quesadillas, Why not chop them up and put them inside a tortilla wrap with some Gouda or Cheddar cheese. Yum! Look for my Quesadillas and just add mushrooms!
- Scrambled Eggs, these would also work really great sliced up and added to light and fluffy eggs. See how to make light and fluffy Scrambled Eggs.
- Breakfast Omelette, again another great breakfast alternative. Slice them and put them inside a creamy omelette. See how to make a great Omelette.
What to Serve with the Garlic Mushrooms
This mushroom recipe is pretty versatile and will go with many dishes. It would even be a great starter or appetizer. It really does go great with my Traditional Style Barbecue Pork Tenderloin, the Dry Rub Oven Barbecue Ribs or even the Oven Roasted Rotisserie Style Chicken. However you choose to serve them, they are a pretty great side dish.
Well friends that just about sums up this easy and tasty Garlic Mushroom Recipe. They are honestly and easy to make. If you get around to making them, let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you. Oh, and if you’re looking for a great main course with mushrooms, be sure to head over to the Turkey & Mushrooms in a Creamy White Wine Sauce.
I’ll see you all in a few days with something to put on the barbecue. Until then, happy cooking!
Here’s Some More Mushroom Recipes To Try
Get the recipe!
- 8 oz Button mushrooms ends trimmed and slices
- 5 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Sea Salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add the sliced garlic and stir really well. Cook the garlic until it starts to soften, 2-3 minutes. If you notice the garlic is browning too quickly, reduce heat.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add the mushrooms. Stir or toss really well and cook over high heat for a further 2-3 minutes until they start to brown.
- Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking the mushrooms until golden brown
- Continue cooking on a high heat for about 2 -3 minutes or until you notice the mushrooms starting to brown. Now lower your heat to medium and continue cooking until the mushrooms are cooked and a lovely golden brown. This will take a further 8 – 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle over sea salt and fresh ground pepper and serve immediately.
*A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.