These Sweetheart Brownies are the perfect sweet treat for Valentine’s Day. Made in a regular brownie tray, cut into heart shapes and dusted with sprinkles. Perfect for a last minute dessert, snack or to make with kids.
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and these would just make a great treat. And you don’t need to treat someone else, they can just be for you!
Do you make anything special for Valentine’s Day?
Every year on Valentine’s day I either make Profiteroles or a Chocolate Roulade Cake. Those are the most favourite desserts of the dear husband. He isn’t much of a sweet person. However, if I stick to those two desserts I am pretty much guaranteed he will dive in.
Notes About The Brownies
- I used a 2 inch heart shaped cookie cutter for these brownies and got 24. You can use whatever size cookie cutter you like and that will determine how many you get.
- Yes, of course we ate the edges that we cut around!!! We waste nothing.
- As an after thought, you could always cut them up really small and sprinkle them over ice cream. They can even be put in zip lock bags and tossed in the freezer if you don’t have a use for them straight away.
- As you can see in the photos, I used small flat heart shaped sprinkles. These kind of sprinkles will not sink into the batter, dissolve or grow twice their size.
- I don’t recommend using the larger pearl sprinkles because they may sink or dissolve. However the candied kind are great for this recipe.
Some Other Sweet Inspiration
- Very Pink Sweetheart Cookies
- Individual Sweetheart Cakes
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies
- Chocolate Raspberry Brownies
- Strawberry & Cream Swiss Roll Cake
Now get your Valentine’s baking on!
Like what you see today? Don’t forget you can follow on Facebook for daily inspiration or over on Instagram where I sometimes do daily cooking videos for fun! I’m also on Pinterest which is a great place that you can save and share your favourite recipes. As well, if you haven’t yet, Subscribe to the newsletter. You’ll be notified whenever there’s a new recipe! You can do that at the top of the page.
Get the recipe!
- 5 ounces dark semi sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 Cup plain flour
- 2/3 Cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Heart Shaped Sprinkles
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a saucepan set over low heat, add the butter and chopped chocolate. Stir until melted and remove from heat to cool.
- Sift flour together with the salt and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl add eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix well until incorporated and smooth. Probably only a couple of minutes. Remember do not over mix! If you mix it too long, you will end up with more of a cake texture.
- Next, add the chocolate mixture and stir until incorporated. Add flour all at once and gently stir in with a wooden spoon until just incorporated. Pour the batter into prepared and evenly spread out the batter. Sprinkle over the heart shaped sprinkles. Bake for around 15 – 18 minutes. Check a few minutes before the baking time is up and insert a toothpick. A few moist crumbs should come out on the stick.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Once cooled, use a 2 inch heart shaped cutter to cut out the brownies. Store in an airtight container. Will keep for 2 – 3 days.