Make this Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken for an easy mid week dinner for the whole family. Tender chicken breasts baked in the oven with a crumb topping with parmesan and herbs. A great dinner the whole family can enjoy.
One of the many great things about chicken, it how versatile it is. I don’t think there is much you can’t do with a chicken and most people like it. This Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken comes together and is a great mid week family dinner. Tender chicken breast topped with a herb and parmesan cheese breaded crust that’s baked to perfection.
- Chicken – This recipe uses boneless and skinless chicken breast
- Breading mixture – I used homemade white bread crumbs
- Oil and butter – I used a mix of olive oil and butter
- Cheese – This recipe uses fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Seasonings – Salt, pepper and dried oregano
- Fresh herbs – parsley
REMEMBER, The full recipe and instructions is always located at the end of the post in the recipe card.
- Preheat oven – Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
- Flatten chicken – Place you chicken between two sheets of parchment paper and lightly flatten it out with a wooden kitchen hammer. You can also use a rolling pin. Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Sear the chicken – Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over high heat. Add the chicken. Quickly sear the chicken on each side for 1-2 minutes, just until it has lightly browned. Remove chicken from skillet and transfer it to an oven proof baking dish.
- Make bread crumb topping – Combine the bread crumbs, melted butter, parmesan, dried oregano, parsley and a little salt & pepper. Mix with your hands. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture evenly over the chicken and firmly pat it down.
- Bake chicken -Bake the chicken for about 25 – 30 minutes. Remove from oven and leave rest just a couple of minutes before serving.
- Prep ahead – This chicken dish can easily be prepped in the morning to bake later in the day. You can make the crumb topping and keep it in a bowl. Or you can top the chicken, cover it and keep it in the fridge until you bake it later in the day.
- Use a thermometer to check chicken – Chicken is one of those things that is so easy to overcook and dry out. Why not invest in a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken. An internal temperature that reads 165 degrees F is a perfectly cooked chicken.
- Firmly press down bread crumb mixture – to ensure the crumb mixture sticks onto the chicken, firmly press it against the breast.
- Chicken breast – I used quite large chicken breast for this recipe and I pounded them to about 1 1/2 inch thickness before baking them. You could use chicken cutlets if you have those. Just don’t use ones that are too thin. Also, it’s important to keep in mind that chicken cutlets will cook quicker.
- Bread crumbs – I went with homemade bread crumbs. I simply put white bread slices in the food processor and pulsed them to coarse bread crumbs. A great alternative would be Panko Bread Crumbs.
- Herbs – I chose to use dried oregano as well as fresh parsley. A nice touch to the the topping. You can omit the parsley if you don’t have it, or you could even use dried parsley. Rosemary would also add a nice touch of flavour to the breading if you like that herb.
- Parmesan cheese – I went with fresh grated parmesan cheese. Alternatively, you could use the package of parmesan cheese no problem.
What to Serve with This Chicken Dish
- Pasta – This would go great alongside the Penne Pasta & Broccoli Bake or the Lemon Garlic Butter Pasta
- Vegetables – Why not serve it with the Parmesan and Garlic Potatoes and the Easy Parmesan Roasted Asparagus.
- Salads – You could try this alongside the Roasted Red Pepper & Feta Salad or the 5 Minute Goat Cheese & Pecan Salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditionally Chicken Parmesan is chicken cutlets, dredged in a breaded mixture and coated with marinara sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese.
Yes, you can use bone in chicken breast. Just keep in mind that the chicken will take a little longer to cook.
Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- 2 lbs Chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese fresh grated
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano
- Small bunch of fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
- Place you chicken between two sheets of parchment paper and lightly flatten it out with a wooden kitchen hammer. You can also use a rolling pin. Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over high heat. Add the chicken. Quickly sear the chicken on each side for 1-2 minutes, just until it has lightly browned. Remove chicken from skillet and transfer it to an oven proof baking dish.
- Combine the bread crumbs, parmesan, melted butter, dried oregano, parsley and a little salt & pepper. Mix with your hands. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture evenly over the chicken and firmly pat it down.
- Bake the chicken for about 25 – 30 minutes. Remove from oven and leave rest just a couple of minutes before serving.
*A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.